Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.
I would have to disagree. I worked retail for 25 years before having the job I have now. (I was hired because I have excellent customer service skills) I went to work everyday because I had to. It was how I supported my family, but people shopped there by choice. It was my job to make sure they had a wonderful satisfying experience. That included greeting them and helping them in any way I could. Letting them wonder about alone made sure they would shop somewhere else. A simple hello and smile is really easy to do.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

I am blessed to live not too far from Mary Jo's in Gastonia, N.C. Her prices beat most everyone around here. And boy does she have a BIG store of fabric!!!

2nd choice is Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupon. Their fabric is very reasonable without the coupon and made very well!

Walmart fabric is junk....sorry if I offend, but it's the truth. You can just about put your finger through most of it.

LQS's are way over priced and I know it's because everything else has gone up, but I am a charity quilter and I can't afford their prices!

We all have our special places to shop. Thank the Lord that some of us can still shop for fabric.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM

My closest LQS sold me way tooo much fabric for my beginning quilt class there. Guess you could say I don't trust her.

Went back about 1.5 years later. Wanted to talk with her about the situation and basically get it off my chest. She didn't want to listen and went to another customer. Well, unfortunately that made my mind up not to return.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator

well, i can't say i've ever had a bad experience in an LQS. the sticker shock nearly killed me in one, but they were very nice as i handed over the plastic. :lol: no ... seriously ... i dragged one of them all over the store looking for "just the right thing". "we" didn't give up 'til i found it. :lol:

i hope everybody who loves theirs gets to keep them. :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
well, i can't say i've ever had a bad experience in an LQS. the sticker shock nearly killed me in one, but they were very nice as i handed over the plastic. :lol: no ... seriously ... i dragged one of them all over the store looking for "just the right thing". "we" didn't give up 'til i found it. :lol:

i hope everybody who loves theirs gets to keep them. :thumbup:

Me too. Those who have a LQS that they love are very lucky. I need to branch out a bit more locally in hopes of finding one that will win my loyalty.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM

I am fortunate to live in an area where I have 6 LQS within a 15 minute drive. I must agree with many that some are better than others on customer service. I don't usually need help, but a greeting is nice. I visit one at least once a month, but it varies which one. They each have a definite style, so it depends on what I'm looking for. Usually more follows me home than what I started out for.
I truly believe in keeping my neighbors in business and not the big box guys.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM

I haven't been to my local quilt stores lately. Mostly because I go with friends to Marden's in Sanford, ME. where they sell top quality fabrics at 2.99 to 3.99 a yard. The thing is, though, when you see something you like you better buy it because it won't be there when you go back. I have also been buying fabric on line and even some from this board. One LQS near me is really big, but funny, whenever I have gone, I have left empty handed. I don't know why, just nothing jumps out that says buy me. But the other stores I go to, well, then I can get in trouble!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

i dont, i buy online.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Yes, I support my LQS's for the following reasons:

They have friendly and knowledgable staff. :D
I appreciate the quality of the fabric. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
They have large selections (the larger the better) to choose from. :thumbup:
They carry many patterns and books. :thumbup:
They offer classes. :thumbup:
The staff are supportive and encouraging. :-D
I want them to succeed, and I like supporting the individual business owner :thumbup: over the large corporation. :thumbdown:

I shop online only when I can't find what I am looking for locally.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:06 PM

If you need help picking out fabrics, the LQS is the place to go. They seem to have an eye for color & most of the time are willing to be of help. The girls (& guys) in regular fabric stores I find aren't much help.