Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM

I make Downy quilts also and I get mine form PA. The place here where I like has a Downy club but they are horrible to quilt so I just e-mailed the main office
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM

I make donation quilts to my nearby Good Neighbor house. It is for homeless families that are picking themselves back up. I have done small 22x22 quilts for the Cat Rescue shelter. They put them in the cages so the cats are more comfortable - then when the cat is adopted the quilt goes to their new home with them. I just wish I could do more for them, I see to go in spurts.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM

I volunteer with our Guild for making baby quilts (crib size). They are donated to our local children's shelter.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 PM

My guild does charity quilts for many organizations in the area, so I do some for that. I have also made a lot for a local organization that services many agencies in the area. I used to do some for foster care until I found out that the caseworkers rarely grab a quilt for new foster kids. I've also done some for the woman's shelter and Head Start nap quilts as well as for needy Head Start families.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by quilting memaw
Nanjun, You have a really beautiful picture. Wish I could look that good in my pics! LOL....
Memaw you are so kind. Thanks, that picture was made about 3 years ago and the best I ever had made. I am afraid the years are taking a toll on my looks as well as my physical condition. Blessings to you
Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
For those who make quilts to donate to organizations --
what organizations to you donate to?

Do you belong to a group that does them or do you do them on all your own?

What size quilts to you make and how complicated of a pattern do you generally use?
I am doing Downy quilts and Wounded soldiers (for group I am in) and preemie blankets, also doing tops for another group.
Most of what I do is for groups that I am in.
whatever size that they need is the size and I make what they have doing. Sometimes just do what trips my trigger at the time
Old 06-27-2010, 05:46 AM

I quilt two charity quilts a year for free. I make 1 or 2 quilts for Newborns in Need and try to knit a blanket a year for Newborns in Need. I have made 14 pillowcases this year for the 1 Million pillowcase Challenge. I would like to do more but I'm not good at using my time wisely.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 AM

I make quilts for our froster home and our soldiers around our area .

Cookies.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 AM

I make quilt tops for Camp Reach for the Stars. It is a camp up in the local mountains for kids with cancer and their siblings. Then once a month our group meets and we sew the backs and give them to volunteer long-armers to quilt. Then the quilts rotate back to us and we do the binding. We usually pull from our stash. The kids really appreciate them !! I also make small quilts for the preemie unit at Kaiser Hospital. I have also made quilts for my granddaughters High School Band auction. I ususally use a music theme. I fogot, I am always making pillowcases for our local pediatric ward or the local Ronald McDonald House.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 AM

Our quilt guild meets twice a month. once for meeting and program and again to do quilts for charity. We make them for a group here called "Room at the Inn" and a second group called "My Own Little Bag". One group works with the homeless and the second provides a quilt and bag for a child removed from home because of "Meth Labs. I have also done the Downey quilts and Quilts of Valor.