got a dog?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Originally Posted by hazeljane
I sort of (via the internet) know a woman in Anchorage, I think, who has iggies. Let me know if you want her info- you may check out the breed.

Italian greyhounds DO not like cold. My friend could tell you better how they are in AK, but mine would not leave the house if they could avoid it in the winter.
Besides the fact that iggies don't usually like the cold, I hesitate to get a dog that is trained and bred to run faster than a human (especially me with my new knees!) so think I'll pass on the referral for them. I have to go outside in the winter...and like it...so want a dog that doesn't mind going along. But thanks!
Hahhaaa.
They aren't trained to run that fast, they just do. And not all the time, but if they see something interesting 100 yards away, they can just take off. Mostly they are couch potatoes.

I'm not encouraging or even recommending them. I think in bitter cold, they'd be a pain to deal with and would almost definitely regress in potty training. I love them, but I also have no illusions that they're great dogs for everyone. If you like to be outside in the winter- a dog with some body fat and fur is likely a much much better choice.

I'm interested to see what you decide!

Maggie
Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Border Terriers are good dogs for winter. We have two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, and Duffy thinks he is a small Chessie! LOL

Originally Posted by ktbb
Originally Posted by hazeljane
I sort of (via the internet) know a woman in Anchorage, I think, who has iggies. Let me know if you want her info- you may check out the breed.

Italian greyhounds DO not like cold. My friend could tell you better how they are in AK, but mine would not leave the house if they could avoid it in the winter.
Besides the fact that iggies don't usually like the cold, I hesitate to get a dog that is trained and bred to run faster than a human (especially me with my new knees!) so think I'll pass on the referral for them. I have to go outside in the winter...and like it...so want a dog that doesn't mind going along. But thanks!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78642.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Dee

I have a chocolate toy poodle who I would love to clone. Best small puppy we ever had. She is a clown and loving and a real character. She is now 15 yrs old. She was a trucker dog with us. Loves to go. Our little Kokoa is our sweetheart. Runs us very well and around her small paws.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 PM

I have a very calm toy poodle. She is a great watch dog with her barking. she is an inside dog, goes pp and poo on a training pad. She is 7 lbs, loves the car, but poodles require grooming that is $40/50 every 6/7 weeks. they are hypoallergenic and no shedding.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM

i have three wounderfull shee-poos tony my oldest road in the truck with me he addpted quit well all i had to say was time to go to work and he was willing and ready to junp in the passanger seat quit often he would ride in the dash i got stopped by the dot one time just so he could take a pic of my dash orniment muffin was purchased to be a mte for tony. butter ball is now 7 weeks old tony and muffin had a girle but the may not bee good for apartment as they do tend to bark alot.the plus side of shee-poo's is the don't shed and are easly trained.but do require a lot of grooming
god bless i hope you find the dog that is just right for you
Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM

I have a Chihuahua, Cocoa, but she does not travel with us. I also have 2 cats and a bird (mitered conyer). A Chihuahua is really a barker......
Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM

We have Shih Tzu's, since 1980. The are great small dogs, they do not bark alot, only when someone comes to the door. They are great with the grandkids. When we lived in Texas and came to KS. about twice a month to our apt. We would bring all 3 on them with us. I alway put them in crates to keep them and us safe. They are great little dogs.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 AM

Check out my boy in the Avatar. He's a French Bulldog. Doesn't bite or nip, lay back, doesn't bark or droole. Needs about 15 minute walks. Mine is bigger than the average so you probably would find most around 23 pounds. He's a muscular, solid packed 32 pounder. I have heard this breed is a good apartment dog.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

One that doesn't nip or bark all day long would be good. Some small breeds are high strung and then some are so cute and lovable.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 AM

I haven't had one for almost 20 years when we had our crazy springer spaniel Brandy put to sleep. I still miss her and would like to get another dog. My DH points out, correctly, that we like to take off and go frequently often to places where we couldn't take a dog so it just isn't practical. Here's a pic of us together years ago. She wanted me to throw the stick, not just stand there so I was having to kind of hold her still. Thus her kinda grumpy look. :)

Brandy and Me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77566[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77561.jpe