Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem: Expected quilts >

Problem: Expected quilts

Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 AM

I made my first quilt for my nephew over 46 years ago and have made one for each addition to our immediate family and some for baby showers of close friends. These things take time and folks do not understand that. I recently gave a baby gift of a quilt that was made with squares of hand embroidered cocker spaniels on it and one of the ladies asked me if I could make one for her. She asked me how long it took to put together and I told her it only took about 6 hours to put together but I could not count the hours of sewing and cutting. Hopefully she will forget about it.
I do make quilts for my kids and grandkids when they request them but they know I do them my way and on my time. I will make a specialty quilt for a great grandbabies birthday theme if the parent requests it in time but they are very simple. People need to understand the time it takes to make these projects and when I am pressured because I feel like I have to do it I do not enjoy it.d Just say no I do not have the time.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM

I've only been quilting a short time and this 'newbie' isn't broadcasting to friends and relatives my new found passion, so I don't have my door being knocked down with requests. I agree with all the aforementioned comments and in particular that life is too short to be doing what you don't want to do.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM

I tell them I sell the quilts for x amount and I give some as my personal gifts. You know this happens in many professions......A friend of mine had her flower shop and did many arrangements in town then she retired. She told me people ask her to do arrangements for them all the time....she cannot say no but we are working on it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM

I admire those of you who have suggested teaching quilt-moochers to make one themselves. That is a lot of time! Chances are most will say no, but you may have someone who takes you up on it. Instead, you could tell them you are incredibly backed up and refer them to the local quilt shop for a beginner's class or to get a referral to someone who does this for a business. Someone suggested you say you are already "overwhelmed" with quilt projects. That's a good one, too. I have a friend who doesn't want to make quilts for people who ask -- at any cost. She begins by saying, "The minimum fee for me to make a quilt is $800, for any size. That does not include fabric and other materials. If you are still interested, I will give you an estimated price." No one has asked for a price yet -- lol. The key is to be nice, but firmly say you are already booked up, or that you don't make quilts for anyone other than your closest friends or family.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM

I agree, if it's a very close friend. If the friend is not that close, how about buying some special, even hand-made, for #2?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 AM

A) Say that you've become so successful that you're now having to charge for your exquisite work!
B) Tell them that you have such a backload of quilts to make that they can just get in line, or you'll call them when you have time to work on theirs!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Even charity quilts can get to you if you make too many.
I don't get free fabric, so when I make them, I let the ladies know that it will be a while as I am burnt out or I just say nothing. But I let them know it might be six months or a year before they get more.
We learned long ago to say no. My husband was a class A mechanic and you can have to many friends who think you should work on cars free. Finally he learned to say only for myself.
Recently I sent a lap quilt to someone I had not seen in many years, but have been in touch with the past few years.
She was surprised and happy to get it. It talked to me and said Linda.
We can all get overwhelmed so I learned to think what is most important at the time.
Every year to help hubbys family with money (reunions) I make a lap quilt to be raffled off. I know I have a year to make it and that gives me a thrill to think up something different.
This year I went for a Sun Bonnet Sue and the ones who have seen it want it for themselves as much as for the child.
I like to make for the kids in family, and do what I want and tell the parents please let them be rough with their "blankie"
Right now I am taking a break from sewing with one exception. I have one started to use as a family tree.My family.
Still doing some dreaming on parts of it but here is no rush and if I feel I want to make one for someone else, it can be put aside.
learn to say NO life is too short to be caught up into wearing yourself out for others .
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Related question: If I made Baby #1 a quilt, do I need to make Baby #2 one as well? Mom is a good friend and coworker but refuses to find out the gender pre-birth and I hate working around that.....BUT---don't want #1 to have a quilt to use into at least the school years (It turned out about twin size or so) and #2 to feel left out. Due day is around New Year's Day so I have plenty of time as I make them really simple with great fabrics. What do you think?
for a good friend I would make baby #2 a quilt equal to # 1

That's what I'm thinking I need to do. Fell in love with a gender-neutral animal print flannel today at the LQS so I think this one is......PROBLEM SOLVED!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM

I have the same problem only with my family and I can't seem to find it in my heart to say no and one of my son in laws has even taken to looking in my sewing room and saying when are you going to finally get around to making my quilt. I want to say as soon as I make myself one but know that I never will
Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 PM

I bought some material from a lady on ebay, who after I showed her the quilt top I had made, wanted to know if I could make quilts and sell them to her. I explained that it took so long to make one that no way would she want to pay me what I would have to have for one.
I told her if she had the time that quilts are fun to do and I mostly use squares and rectangles (no pattern) when making crib size ones, which a lot of mine our,
The kids really seem to enjoy having their very own blanket, even college age kids. :thumbup: