Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem: Expected quilts >

Problem: Expected quilts

Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM

I told a new acquaintance that I had plenty PIG'S, just pick one and finish it, or go find the material (y'all call if fabric, now days, thorry) and read a book on it before purchasing it. Then she would see why it is just a hobby. sometimes people gripe me about 'when' and I turn them off and go fondle my fabric, little pieces and the big ones. I love my fabric. This hobby is personal.

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM

the problem I have is if I am making something for someone specifically, my family members will see it and start dropping hints. I've made some pretty black-white-bright ones recently and one particular preteen girl in the household will literally get mad if I say it's for someone else. I've told her nicely in several ways but the message wasn't getting through until I said "look here little missy, yes it's cool and pretty, but until I give it away it's MINE and who I give it to is my business since I made it." That caused lots of stomping and sulking but what can you do?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

I am retired and have all the time in the world :D :lol: :lol: :-P :lol: ....NOT! I also have 3 children with a total of 8 GC. I told them a long time ago that the quilts I will make should not be considered birthday, wedding, Christmas, etc quilts. They will get them when they get them. It is still hard to do because 5 of the GC are in one family! I just finished a flannel quilt for my oldest GS (see Pictures) who will be 12 the first week in August....I am thinking seriously about waiting until the last of August to send it to him, after his birthday....haven't decided yet.

Of course there is BIL, SIL, etc...

I have kits (with/without) fabric with patterns which have their names on them....if I don't have time (or inclination) to make them before I go, at least they will know I was thinking of them....
Old 07-12-2010, 03:49 PM

I agree... smile your best smile and say "no, I can't do that for you.. perhaps you can find someone else that has time." and then ask them about their kids/husband/dog/work/ and move on. It's my best trick.. end with asking a question.. they'll feel compelled to answer the question and then it's too late to go back. Works most of the time.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Teacher bailey - I'm in the same situation. I really enjoyed doing an appliqued fuzzy sheep quilt for a friend's first GC but now there is #2 and she asked if I would do a similar one but with bunnies for #2. She did offer to pay for it but I would feel bad if she did. I don't know if I will have much time for it in the near future so I will have to really think about if and when.

There are many people that do not have a clue as to the cost and the amount of time that it takes to sew or make something. I have done a lot of costuming/wardrobe designs for different theatre groups and have had lots of experience with many that do not know what is required. I patiently explain what is required to 'tweek' or adjust what they would like and they realize that it's not a 5 minute undertaking - has been very interesting!! Too bad I enjoy being creative with the costume designs because I should really focus on making quilts for myself and my family. I don't have any that I have made - have given them all away as gifts.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM

I make "family" quilts for special things. Daughters got Christmas quilts last year. New great-grand child's mom wanted quilt - I told her it would be his Christmas present.
Older grandchilden get Christmas quilts this year. Grandson got wedding quilt.
For friends I keep a bin of small quilts- if somone wants one for gift - I take bin to work with prices on the quilts.
Our church ladies (UMW) make graduation quilts. We divide them up and our budget pays for the material/batting/thread.
These have kept me from being caught up in the "free" market. Also if someone wants a special quilt - I tell them the cost before I agree to do the quilt. If I want I do the quilt if not I say I do not have the time.
SandyB
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Deb, you said that you have no time to make anything for you or learn new techniques. It doesn't make sense to start charging them. You STILL won't have time for you. You need to firmly learn to say no. When you aren't working you should be able to have time to enjoy this wonderful art for the happiness it brings you. Sounds like it's turned into a job and that isn't good.
When I don't want to do something I don't think of a million excuses anymore. I just nicely say " I'm sorry but I can't".
It's a very freeing feeling once you do it a couple of times.
Now go make something for you!! :D
I totally agree...I'm to the point of just saying "I'm sorry, no" and moving on. I don't make excuses any more.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM

I just say "I don't have time to make one"! I have had several people say that to me and I am amazes at how they think we can just whip one up in an evening or two. I know they mean well! When my niece was hoping for a quilt at her baby shower, I dropped everything and got into action. She was pleased!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM

That happened to me, and I decided that I would just announce a moratorium on gift quilts and that I'd be making some things for myself for the coming year. I don't think it was because people were greedy....I think nonquilters just don't realize how much time goes into making a quilt.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM

You could tell anyone who asks that you are taking a break from quilting for friends as gifts, as it has gotten so over-whelming that you don't have any time to quilt for yourself. Tell them that you will let them know if anything changes. It's the truth and they can't argue with it, or feel bad about it.