Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Your right about that! Threads of Times is awesome! They have some great sale fabric, not to mention beautiful fabric of all kinds! They are always happy to see you and very helpful!Ranks as one of my top two stores in the area! Some of the others need to take some notes on how to please customers. Without us where will they be?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM

I will admit, poor customer service and lack of feeling appreicated just irks me to no end. I usually will give them a second or third try then no more!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Google Goddess

The same thing happened to me last month. owner and 2 employees in the LQS and not one asked me if I needed help, 30 minutes later, it made me mad and I walked out

I guess they didn't need business and wondered later if I would of said to buy a machine, I bet the service was different, I just went in to look and was going to buy some patterns

Originally Posted by bob1414
It sounds like this has happened to everyone - here's my latest experience. I was in one of our local quilt shops in Sioux Falls, SD this weekend. I specifically went to buy fabric to bind a quilt. I was not greeted upon entering although an employee was right there. After being in the shop for several minutes, nobody asked if I needed any assistance. I ended up spending less than $10 and if someone would have taken the time to see what I was interested in, I would have easily spent over $100!!! I routinely spend $100-$350 per month with online quilt shops even though I cannot see the fabric in person. This store could have had a much better day of sales if the employee(s) would have "bothered" to see if I needed assistance. Please, quilt shopw owners - if you see this, make the effort to assist customers!! I'm not just speaking for myself!

I actually ran a quilt shop in this city for a friend of mine after she relocated and I would never have ignored customers this way. I don't know of any reason to be this way.

Thanks for letting me vent - I feel like I'm in a 12 step meeting!!! :-)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM

I just think it is much more convenient to shop online for fabric. There is such a wider selection and not so much drive time. I figure I spend at least $5.00 on gas round trip and when I shop online I can hunt for the best bargains and have it delivered to my door.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM

It is so fun though to go to a fabric store, have lunch out with a friend and see the beautiful fabric. To touch it and see all the beautiful fabric right at your finger tip! I order online but not much. I am still excited about my purchases from the shop hop!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM

My husband and I are full time RVing and have traveled all over the U.S. the last two years. We met a wonderful couple through our dogs and they (the dog and his "parents") started traveling with us. One of the best parts of the union is that Viv taught me to quilt and enjoy fabric. We have been in some wonderful quilt shops in our travels. (We have been in some really bad ones also.) Viv is adamant that if we aren't greeted when we walk in, we look at each other and turn around and walk out. There are too many neat shops who are friendly to put up with poor treatment. I worked in retail when I was young and was taught to always greet the customer. It's such an easy thing to do.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
It is so fun though to go to a fabric store, have lunch out with a friend and see the beautiful fabric. To touch it and see all the beautiful fabric right at your finger tip! I order online but not much. I am still excited about my purchases from the shop hop!
I agree, and I love to see the quality of the fabric I am buying, I want to feel it, stroke it, see the true color. And the conversation, who is doing LAQ, upcoming classes, visiting teachers in the area, quilt shows; you get the idea.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

i have 2 lqs's that i frequent...1 it depends on who is working the service you receive; you are always greeted, the employees always ask if you need assistance and try to help and are pleasant and friendly; the owner however, is kind of...less than friendly. i have seen her really respond to inquiries rudely and chase away potential customers (no, i don't carry junk like that try walmart...as she stomps away) she's a peach ;)
the other shop...they are always cheerful, helpful, love to see show and tell...just a great place to visit...only down side is it's a really small shop, does not carry many items i need so i have to stop by the other one once in awhile.
for the most part the local shops i've visited have really bent over backwards to welcome and assist customers. there are a few that tend to take on a ...different attitude...when 'strangers' enter...like you are not part of our circle...who are you and what kind of quilting do you do? do you really belong here?...but they usually warm up after a few minutes....
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 AM

I have wonderful news. I was at one of my local quilt shops yesterday and with two kids in tow went in. This was the second stop. the first was joanns. had a coupon. YEAH ME.
Well not only was I greeted at the door it was opened for me. (I had one kid in a stroller and another by the hand) went in and the lady didn't hover over me just asked if there was anything I needed and went back to the counter.
Well those of you who have little ones know how hard it is for little hands to keep to themselves. Well my dd was picking up things left and right and my sons hands were all over everything. (Drove me nuts. kept yelling at them to stop touching things) not once did one of the ladies chide my children or hover over me to get me to hurry up and move on. It was nice not to have a store owner eying my kids like they were going to ruin their stuff. The ladies when I was getting my fabric cut were actually amazed at how my dd knew where to put back the things that she had been picking up. I would have liked to buy more but I could only get 1 yard because it was sooo expensive. they don't have coupons or sale bolts.
I know that they would double their business if they did coupons or sale racks that all the fabric would get to sit on for a day or something like that. anyhoo. I was very happy with my experience, other than my kids driving my nuts trying to touch everything in the store. (Think that they get that from me. Love to touch and feel the fabric. hehe)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 AM

I guess I'm different than ya'll. I don't particularly care if I'm greeted upon entering a store. I don't want them to ask if they can help me, either. 99% of the time when I walk into a quilt store, I have a thousand design thoughts racing through my mind and I don't want an employee interrupting my thoughts.

Many times I'm there to look at what's new. Many times I'm looking for something for a specific quilt and I know what I'm looking for.

With all that said, I do expect the employee to be friendly when they're cutting my fabric or when I do ask for assistance.