Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 AM

The dealer where I bought mine was dropped. He now sells Singer and Janome.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by polly13
Okay, now I REALLY don't know what to do! I have a Pfaff 7570 which I purchased in the '70s. Though I can embroider with it, I have been toying with the idea to buy a Creative 4.0, making the embroidering much easier, and still use it for quilting, regular sewing, etc. Should I throw that idea out the window? A friend says her Viking embroiders well. Bernina dealer is 90 minutes away. Ohhhhh what to do? Any words of wisdom?
Not sure if it's words of wisdom, but that has never stopped me before. lol

I used to be a Pfaff girl - all the way. Not that mine were TOL but they were not the cheapies either. When my older one had trouble with the bobbin case, I said to the sales gal "oh just for fun, show me what you got." Ended up with the 2056/58??? which lifts its little foot. This was late last fall. When I got her home, we found out that we were not compatible. She is not a bad machine, but she is not the machine for me. I noticed a difference in handling (compared to my other machine) and she has some quirks that irritate me.

I spoke with others who have the same machine, and IF the person "upgraded" from another Pfaff, they all said the same thing. IF they were new to Pfaff, they did not notice.

As Candace pointed out, many machines are outsourced, so the argument that we "only" use American or we "only" buy European machines holds no water. There are some really great machines made in China, Taiwan, or where-ever that are high quality and make our quilter hearts soar.

For you, my dear - I would suggest that you test drive the heck out of the 4.0 and see if you like her. I read in a review that their first release of the Expression had an annoying bump where the table met the machine and that it was impossible to get things sewn straight. (One of the reasons I shied away from it at the time) But I have seen quilters use that machine in classes and it seems that problem is fixed. They also LOVE their Expression 4.0.

Me, I decided on a Babylock Espire - the reason is kind of silly: The darn machine sews sideways and at an angle. THAT was IT for me. "You had me at Hello!" lol
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM

I think you nailed it. Buy what makes your heart soar. Just do your due diligence in making sure you know where it's made and you're comfortable with it. A good dealer IS worth their weight in gold!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 AM

I own a Pfaff and Bernina. My local Pfaff dealer discouraged me from buying the new Pfaff because the quality of the machine has gone down so much because of the merger with Singer. Also, he siad it's very difficult to get the parts. He had been on hold with Pfaff for 45 min just trying to order a part. He said this is common practice now with Pfaff. He was very discouraged. Now, about the Bernina. When I was in the Bernina store, the repairman man told me that certain models of Bernina will now be made in China. He said the 440 series would now be made in China. He said if I was interested in that model, he still had 3 that were made in in Switzerland. Also, some of the new less expensive models are made in China.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I think it is very much like buying a car when we select our machines. For me, Bernina was never an option (no matter where they are made) because Bernina and I don't get along. Not sure why either. They are beautiful machines and when I drive one, it is a disaster in the making. Just like the Janomes, Berninas feel "rough" to me - like driving a tractor (which I actually have never done. lol) Yet, I know people who would not trade their Berninas or their Janomes for all the tea in China.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM

I still use my 7570 all the time. The embroidery capabilities are all I need. I am still using the vintage german 230 which is an old mechanical. I love them both. I never upgraded as the 7570 was the last hurrah of the germans making Pfaff's and they put their hearts and souls into that machine. I also have a Juki TL98Q, 3 treadles and various other antique/vintage machines.

At the start of the changeover when Pfaff sold out there was nothing but problems with machines and it made me more grateful for what I had. We were in Germany at the time and news went around fast. It just was so hard to know the quality would never be there again. Course all lovers of specific brand machines feel the same way.

Madquilter & Candace you are both so right in your thinking and we must as Candace so aptly put... use what makes your heart soar regardless of who made it, what brand it is and how much it cost.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by sew n' sew
I own a Pfaff and Bernina. My local Pfaff dealer discouraged me from buying the new Pfaff because the quality of the machine has gone down so much because of the merger with Singer. Also, he siad it's very difficult to get the parts. He had been on hold with Pfaff for 45 min just trying to order a part. He said this is common practice now with Pfaff. He was very discouraged. Now, about the Bernina. When I was in the Bernina store, the repairman man told me that certain models of Bernina will now be made in China. He said the 440 series would now be made in China. He said if I was interested in that model, he still had 3 that were made in in Switzerland. Also, some of the new less expensive models are made in China.

I found this on the net: "The Bernina 220 is made in China in a Bernina factory. Which means it is a factory built by and owned by Bernina. The 220 features the same quality Bernina is famous for.
The Bernina Activa 220 is NOT built in China. It is manufactured in a Bernina-built factory in Thailand, opened by Hans-Peter Ueltschi personally. Unlike Singer, Viking, and so many others, these machines have strict quality control and strive to equal the full-size Swiss-made machines."

To me this just shows it's all about wording...people can spin things all around to get the desired effect. It seems Bernina is following along with the outsourcing practice. Practically everything we own or buy now is not made in the US. I'm so glad I won't be needing a new machine for a looooong time if ever. I was very happy with my Japanese built Janome and I'm thrilled with my Swiss made Bernina. I'm a multi-cultural sewing machine household:>
Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 AM

I feel the same way about Bernina & Janome. They just aren't smooth for me. I have a Pfaff that I use for quilting. Love the IDT for quilting, but for all my other sewing I love my Viking. So I take it you love for Pfaff.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I actually pulled out my old Pfaff to put together a top that included folded origami pieces. The built-in walking foot was the better choice for the lumpy project. For me, it is nice to have options and I count my blessing that I have different machines to select from. Which leads me to the actual point (good grief am I long-winded today) Not everyone can afford multiple options and many sewers want that one good machine. We have had the discussion MANY times on the QB - there is no ONE SIZE FITS ALL machine. Everyone needs to identify WHAT their needs are and then research. That's why there are so many brands out there - to meet the needs and wishes of the consumer. If Pfaff quality keeps declining (and I'm not saying it will) then the consumers will speak with their pocket books.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM

I just did the research and SVP which is a global Investment Co. bought the rights to Singer, Viking and Pfaff's. They are all being made in China. They are "in talks with Bernina,Elna/White and others?. The theory being the same machinery can make all machines at a lower cost. The computers are all basically the same just different programming. Slap them into different cases with different names on them and woman will buy them. Janome has refused due to their being made in Japan and their quality controls are extremely tight. Some of their cases are made "off island" but nothing that is important. The idea is to get away from having to pay dealerships for advertising, training etc. In otherwords, greed, they want to make more money with less intervention. Sell it off the shelf, they make more money. When you can't get it fixed, you will buy new. Doing demo's with machines that you can try out, cost them profit $'s. So, no more commissioned dealerships.