Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 AM

We did not lose our fabric department thanks going to one lady that took the initative to stand up to the management. She presented a petition signed by many customers saying that if they did away with our fabric we would boycott wm altogether. It only took one brave woman with a cause to make it happen. We will now get the upsized version of the fabric dept. in our small town.

Go go girl
Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 AM

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had a large table of fabric but it was all double knit. They still had their pre packaged fabric but I don't care for the quality of that. Thanks for your research.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Walmart removed fabric from our store 2 yrs. ago. About 1 1/2 years ago it returned.Fat quarters, kits, precut lengths, strips,etc.It is okay. It has been the same stuff the whole time. 3 weeks ago there a table of small bolts.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 AM

We have precut fabric at our walmarts. I wish they would put back the bolts.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM

I went to Walmart in Franklin, TN last night and the lady who cut my halloween fabric said that next year that store would lose its fabric department. I told her that there were concerned quilters out there who were trying to save the fabric departments in Walmart. This is very good news for those of us who like shopping at Walmart. I know that I alone used to spend even more money there when I didn't have to run all over finding yarn, floss, and fabric. Maybe they will bring back floss and I won't have to wait for a sale at Joann's. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 AM

Our store in Lake City has FG's and such and has recently added 2yard lengths but still no full service. There is one store in Gainesville that has it still.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 AM

I'm so glad walmart is putting fabric back in our Walmart stores.cc
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 AM

Having worked at the home office, I know Walmart is run by just people. They respond to feedback and the bottom line and are constantly asking how they can do it better. I bet there has never been another product that has caused this much response. Keep it coming! Talk to the managers, thank them for what has happened, complain if it has not, but keep up the communication. Their input influences store planners and buyers. Keep sending comments to the home office. They may not be individually read, because there are 1000's of them every day, but they ARE counted and compiled by category. They become votes. It takes time, but communication is effective. And, keep pointing out that on the way back to fabric dept, there is always a basket of groceries. That is subjective and can not really be quantified, but it is a very important fact. I am so proud of all of us, we are being heard!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM

I've posted this before on several threads, but I will go ahead and post it here again.

My Walmart never lost its fabric. It has a great selection of fabric, A.E. Nathan, David Textiles, etc. A couple years ago they done what they called a "reset" remodel. This was when a lot of stores lost their fabrics. Before the remodel they had TONS of great stuff, they even sold the Grace frames right in the store.

After the remodel, they turned the crafts into "party" type stuff, "celebrations" I think is what they called it. At that time, they moved the fabric stuff to a smaller corner, but they still had a good selection of fabric.

Right now, they still carry almost a full aisle of cotton,a few half aisles of decorator type material, lots of batting, including Warm and WHite and Warm and Natural. They have less notions that before, though. They still have a fair selection of most common notions, though such as rulers, at least on of each of the "major" sizes, 6 or 7 sizes of cutting mats, a decent selection of thread,needles, pins,etc. too. They have a great selction of interfacings, such as pellon, heat and bond, etc.

They still have a lot of patterns,too. and the "Big book" to ordeer all of them.

I have to say I think I'm very lucky where Walmart is concerned! I have another WM that I go to sometimes, about 20 minutes away, and its pitiful. They have a FEW, and I mean FEW of those crappy precut kits, like a ragdoll, and an apron and pillowcases. They have a couple of notions, like about 2 or 3 bags of batting, and some pins. Thats it. I couldn't believe it! It was terrible!

If I go there today, I will take some pics for you. The pics can tell you better than I can.

I am one of "those" people that does rely on Walmart to afford to do this hobby. If I had to shop at LQS's only, I'd have to quit or find fabric in shirts, etc.

I've emailed several companies that sell fabric and as soon as they answer me, I will post the results here.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

Now if they would only staff someone to cut the fabric. That is the problem I have at my local Walmart..They have bolt fabric, but on one person knows how to cut it and she isnt always there.