Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

Ugh, I asked in the Whitewater store last night and she said she still thinks its going to be going. Hopefully the one in Janesville will stay!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by M.E.H.
This would be great. I have to travel for an hour to find fabric of any kind. Wal-Mart is 10 min. away.
I wish I lived that close...my closest walmart is an hour away. The walmart here only has one isle of fabric. It's really sad to see.

It is good that I have no car right now or else I'd be Walmart hopping just to see if there is any difference in our stores. I will say that none of our stores lost the fabric department but they definitely cut back quite a bit...

I was in Walmart last weekend and noticed that they were getting some really really sharp fabrics in. I just walked by an end cap and had to control myself from looking further... I'm glad that they decided to bring it back or add to it...

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
MODERATOR'S NOTE TO THE WALLY-HATERS:

1. leave us WalMartians alone.

2. we are thrilled for you that you can afford to act on your preference for fabs at between twice and four times the price. cross my heart. all we ask is that you be as happy for those of us who can't and who may once again have a local option for in-person fabric shopping.

3. if you don't, won't or can't share in our pleasure please move along without comment. don't rain on our parade and don't ruin what started as a happy topic.

as elvis would have said, "thankya ... thankya very much."

Well said! I have a very nice LQS,beautiful fabric but I simply cant afford 9-10 dollars a yard. If I want a 1/2 yard, I have to pay 6.00. (FQ are 2.50 though ). Batting, thread,patterns etc.. just cost way too much for me there. They may be well priced, I dont know. I just know I cant afford it. And I dont like shopping at Walmart either, but the prices are great, and I dont have the luxury of being able to go elsewhere and spend more $$,whether it be groceries, household goods or fabric. I'm pretty sure most of us dont have that luxury.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 AM

I hope our other Walmart gets the fabric dept. back. Or that the Walmart that does have fabric gets lots more. The fabric I have gotten at Walmart has always been very good. Some of the clearance fabric is not very good, but it was never on the shelf with the other fabrics.

I have a LQS less than a minute from me but I don't go there. They bashed the other quilt stores in the area and made me feel uncomfortable. Like someone said earlier, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM

:thumbup: Doing the Happy Dance!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Banned

Will be watching this for updates!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:59 AM

Our Walmart was set to close the fabric department a few years ago and petitions spearheaded by our Mennonite community convinced them to leave it. However, the "fabric lady" tells me that when the store is remodeled in 2011 it will be removed. Hopefully the news on this thread means differently.

We have a LQS that has been open less than a year and seems to be doing a booming business. I feel that when I purchase fabric there I am not only paying for the fabric, but for the expertise and extreme customer service. When I buy fabric at Walmart I must know what I want and look until I find it. When I'm at the LQS I can just walk in with my project and am surrounded by experts who help me until we are all satisfied with what I have selected.

My budget requires that I shop at Wm and on sales at Hobby Lobby (an hour away) and Joann's (1 1/2 hours away) for most of my projects. But when possible I go play in the LQS and get what I can from there.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Our wm didn't lose the fabrics but it was down sized. All of a sudden they have more fabric then space. When I go in there the ladies are always complaining about what to do with all the bolts.
Our store as well, our fabric dept was smaller then it was, and last time I was in there, they had tables up the walkway as they used to, and flannel filled 3 tables and other fabric about another 3. So hopefully, it will get back to being as robust as it once was.
I sure will be one of those happy campers
Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 AM

This is great news I sure hope that they will put it back in the stores because also this will give some people back the jobs that they've had or even for a new person.
I'll be watching!! Thank you for the good news.