Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 PM

HI,
One great thing about a local shop is that you can run right over and get help on any project. Some of them will help you even if you purchased from someone else. Personally I tend to go back to those people that provide that extra customer service touch. Sad that so many of these small businesses are going out of business. DianneR
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Our Walmart is loosing theirs in May of 2011. We use to have 4 with fabric down to one and it will be gone in 2011.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM

I wish ours was getting it back. There is one here in Ga.
going to lose theirs the end of Dec. beginning of Jan. Then I have to travel about 45 mins to 1 hr. for the only other walmart that I know of that still has it.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 PM
e4

Walmart transferred its US Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in June to global since same store sales had dropped every quarter for a year. They announced that they needed to get people back in their stores for things other than cheap bargains. Maybe that does bode well for fabric in SOME stores - though clearly not all. Unfortunately, they also have raised prices according to a recent interview with their new CEO who said their price "rollbacks" had enticed consumers to come and just buy the bargains.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
ok, at the risk of harvesting enemies, i would like to voice my thoughts. as we all know, walmart has meant the demise of many many locally owned and operated hometown based businesses. we all know it's because walmart buys in bulk and therefore can undercut small business owners. i feel very strongly about this because one of my best friends is losing her quilt shop because of walmart. people, and some understandably so, would / can only pay for fabric of lesser quality to a retailer that can buy and sell it in bigger quantity. i do not argue your economic situation, what i do argue, is what it is costing those whose life, money, and savings is wrapped up in quality, blood, sweat, and tears. it's sad, really. thank you for letting me jump up on my soapbox.
Other stores carry the exact same fabrics as Wal Mart - only they charge more for it.
I wondered when a Wal Mart Basher would show up.
Lots of people can't afford to pay outrageous prices and Wal Mart doesn't make anyone shop there
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM

YAHOO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Administrator

MODERATOR'S NOTE TO THE WALLY-HATERS:

1. leave us WalMartians alone.

2. we are thrilled for you that you can afford to act on your preference for fabs at between twice and four times the price. cross my heart. all we ask is that you be as happy for those of us who can't and who may once again have a local option for in-person fabric shopping.

3. if you don't, won't or can't share in our pleasure please move along without comment. don't rain on our parade and don't ruin what started as a happy topic.

as elvis would have said, "thankya ... thankya very much."
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 AM

Patrice you really Rock! Thank You. I am going to be checking & see if our 2 WalMart Stores are getting their Fabric Depts back. It certainly has hurt a lot of people around here when they removed them. Yukon, Mustang, Tuttle Okla. has begged for them to bring Fabrics back. The Norman Okla. Stores as well. Whether I buy fabric from there or not doesn't matter as I am just one person, but a whole slew of folks depended on WalMart fabric. I do have some of this fabric in my stash. And some of it is as nice as you find in other Fabric Shops.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
MODERATOR'S NOTE TO THE WALLY-HATERS:

1. leave us WalMartians alone.

2. we are thrilled for you that you can afford to act on your preference for fabs at between twice and four times the price. cross my heart. all we ask is that you be as happy for those of us who can't and who may once again have a local option for in-person fabric shopping.

3. if you don't, won't or can't share in our pleasure please move along without comment. don't rain on our parade and don't ruin what started as a happy topic.

as elvis would have said, "thankya ... thankya very much."
Thank you very much for posting this Patrice :D I was always told that "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" :D

Now...I am happy to hear this also and enjoyed the fabs that Wally World had. Ours went out over a year ago and in a 50 mile radius the wal-marts only carry "precuts". :( Not a large selection of them at that. Since ours went out, we have gained a LQS, but from what I have seen, she doesn't have a large selection yet :( She is carrying the DMC floss and pks of preprinted quilt blocks for that. She is also carrying yarn and knitting and crochet things. I really hope that she can make a go of things since everywhere else is a 40 to 50 mile drive one way if wal-mart doesn't bring things back :)
Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 AM

How can I find out if my store will be getting fabric back? We lost all of ours in last years remodel.