Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to make the best of it... >

How to make the best of it...

How to make the best of it...

Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Well I would help my son but he would sleep on the couch or on an air bed in one of dad's rooms. Everyone has a difficult time now and then but you worked hard to get your sewing room and as long as this is temporary the couch is the place to be. Is there room in one of DH rooms for a sofa bed or futon? Anyway I'm not trying to be cold but everyone has to go with the flow and he must take you lives into consideration and the changes you made.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
BMP

So many people are having hard times, if one of my sons came upon something that was out of their control (job loss) and needed to come home I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. I would NOT expect them to sleep on my sofa or on a cot either. I dont like the idea of my sofa being used for a bed and I am sure it would be very uncomfortable.

I would just store my things in the attic space and as for the table I probably would just make room for it in another space/room even if it ment crowding some other furniture together.

Making over the attic space is a good idea but would it be worth the money and time, how long will your son be staying ??

I am sure the situation is just as hard for him as it is for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I agree with Up North. The perfect place for Son is the couch. Evidently he is of mature age to have lived on his own for two years. It would also be the needed constant reminder that he needs to make further education or better job hunting a priority in his life. In the meantime, the sewing room stays where it is, and used regularly! You'll be doing him the ultimate favor of love. In my opinion, of course. You must love him very much and want to help in any way you possibly can. I would too; being a parent, I totally understand.
Ditto, well said.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Is the attic big enough to become the sewing room?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I agree with Up North. The perfect place for Son is the couch. Evidently he is of mature age to have lived on his own for two years. It would also be the needed constant reminder that he needs to make further education or better job hunting a priority in his life. In the meantime, the sewing room stays where it is, and used regularly! You'll be doing him the ultimate favor of love. In my opinion, of course. You must love him very much and want to help in any way you possibly can. I would too; being a parent, I totally understand.
I agree.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM

No son needs a walk-in closet. Is it big enough to use as a sewing nook?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by sweet
I think you should simply share it with your son. Move enough of your quilting things out to make room for him to sleep and his clothes. If you both agree, maybe it could work...
I agree, some of the things of your that are not in use at the moment could be stored in the attic along with things of your sons. A mattress under the cutting/sewing table, unless that is where you have your storage bins.
It must be so frustrating, can DH give up a bit of his office space for some of your storage bins, why should you be the only one inconvenienced, a little compromise on your DH's behalf may be required.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

I think I would try to find a way to get heat to the attic area. There are some fairly inexpensive heaters out there, and they are energy effecient. Its worth a look, at least
Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Times are hard.. It's wonderful that you can have your son back home for a time. I had my son and DIL move in with us during the last big recession, they took over my sewing room too.. I moved most of my stuff to plasic bins, removed an end table and used a small sewing machine in a tiny cabinet there.. cut on top of my dresser, and pushed the threads and stings into a top drawer I had emptied. I kept things under the bed, under the couch, stacked behind most everything. It was inconvenient, but I didn't want my kids living on the street. One was in college and the other finally (finally) got a job as a night watchman at a trucking company.. It was hard on them, hard on us, but it was what was right. Sometimes being without a job isn't because they are not trying, it just happens. Now that they have finally moved out and have lived in their own home for several years I realize that it was a great time. I lived out in front of them one of the most important things in this life.. taking care of each other. I have my sewing area back, I can do whatever I wish, so it was not that big of a sacrifice. They are so much more important than having my sewing room just the way I want it!

Just remember, all things pass in time.. this is just for a season. Be gracious, who knows, you may need to live with him before it's all over and done with.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM

So sorry! When I first started quilting I had a craft table in our family room that I covered with a pretty sheet and stored all my supplies, fabrics and sewing machine underneath. Was a pain as I always had to clean up after every use but was better than nothing :lol: