Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone use a Babylock Crafters Choice for quilting? >

Does Anyone use a Babylock Crafters Choice for quilting?

Does Anyone use a Babylock Crafters Choice for quilting?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM

The sewing center is trying to sell me a machine upwards of $2000.00 that I can use for quilting. I have a budget of about a $1000.00. I want to use the machine for primarily quilting and piecing. Babylock Crafters Choice looks ok, but I don't know what to look for, or what questions to ask. I will be upgrading from a 1970's Singer. Needless to say, I'm getting price shocked. The dealer I am looking at sells Babylocks and Pfaff. Where do I start? Any recommendations?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM

I have the Baby Lock Decorator's Choice. I've had it 6 months and enjoy it. It was being discontinued so I got it for a great price. I love, love the automatic needle threader, I like the option of not using the foot pedal, I like the scissors cut button and it has more stitches then I know what to do with. It has 3 alphabets that I can use. It runs very smoothly. I did get the Plexiglas surround table and it makes Free Motion easier for me. I've been very happy with it. This model was within my price budget.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM

I don't know anything about that machine. But, if you have set a budget, stick to it. Remember, the bottom line for every business is to make money.

If this shop is really pushing a particular machine, step back and look at their motivation. If it is money, rather than your best interest, I would consider looking at another store if you can.

Otherwise, there is no shame in telling the sales person my budget is XXX total and I won't go over it. They should have no problem helping you find something appropriate in your price range.

And, always try before you buy!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM

I really appreciate your help. I didn't even ask about the Decorators Choice, but I will. This is the only Pfaff and Babylock dealer in the area, so I don't have a lot of choices. The fact that everyone changes the names and/or model numbers, is confusing too! So much of what I read here are machines out of my budget, or machines that have been discontinued. I really want to make an informed choice within the next few weeks, so I can take a few classes and get to know the machine. Hopefully one day, I can move up to the higher end machines. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM

I have a Babylock Quilter's Choice - won it - grand opening prize at local quilt shop - & I really like the automatic needle threader, thread cutter, etc. It is a very nice machine. However, I used a heavy, old Kenmore for 24 years & was perfectly happy with it too. Had I not won this one, I'd have used the Kenmore until I die.
My 2 cents worth------
Evaluate what you need in a machine & then decide. Are the fancy stitches necessary? Are the 3 alphabets essential? I used more decorative stitches when I was sewing for a daughter & 3 sons than I do now. If you go far over your budget, will the extras be worth the expense? If most of your work is on quilts, a quality basic machine with fewer bells & whistles may suit you. See what they can offer within your budget - may even check around for better deals & after comparison shopping, even on line, ask them to come down on the price if you buy from them. I bought my Kenmore sewing machine from a Sears store in another community from where I live - got a better deal & it was sent up 200 miles on the bus as cargo at their expense because they wanted my business more than the local Sears did. I also bought a vacuum that way - ordered it by phone after looking locally & got same thing for less from a Sears in another town.
Good luck with whatever you choose - be sure to let us know what you decide.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Congratulations on your win!! That makes it even better! Everyone here is giving me very good advice and I appreciate it. I think I have had my machine serviced as many times as it can be, and still the thread breaks every few minutes or so, along with a few other nagging irritations, so I'm pretty sure Im due for a new machine. Just have sticker shock and I am amazed at what machines do now!! I sound like I'm a thousand years old, but just haven't needed anything before now. I'm one of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" people. Since I only pieced on it, it didn't matter. I'm looking forward to learning to quilt on a new machine, since I will have that ability!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM

I have a Crafter's Choice that I bought new about 7 - 8 years ago for less than $1000.00. I love it and use it for piecing and for quilting. It is fine for quilting small items - runners, toppers, etc. but I usually send out anything larger to a LA quilter. The throat really isn't big enough for larger quilts. But it is a great machine otherwise. :thumbup:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 PM

For $1000 you can probably buy a used Janome 6500P on ebay or maybe even on craigslist. It has a 9 in. throat, needle up/down, thread cutter and everything about it is wonderful. The only problem I ever had is that it does not have freearm capability.

I now own a Babylock Ellisimo and I love it - but doubt it will survive as long as a Janome because it has much more plastic. Janomes are known for using mostly metal.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
The sewing center is trying to sell me a machine upwards of $2000.00 that I can use for quilting. I have a budget of about a $1000.00. I want to use the machine for primarily quilting and piecing. Babylock Crafters Choice looks ok, but I don't know what to look for, or what questions to ask. I will be upgrading from a 1970's Singer. Needless to say, I'm getting price shocked. The dealer I am looking at sells Babylocks and Pfaff. Where do I start? Any recommendations?
I have the Babylock Quilter's Pro for about that same price, but when I went to the Babylock site, I didn't see it.
Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful, but I have to agree with the quilter who said that you don't need a bunch of decorative stitches.
I look for needle up/down feature ... the machine I bought for less that $1000 a couple of years ago came with a knee lift for the foot and an acrylic Big Table to enlarge the machine bed as well as a hard case for carrying.
For awhile, you can get away with a $35 machine from your closest thrift store - - save your money and look for the machine that has the widest, tallest throat. the machine I have is about nine inches square from the needle to the right and up ... it is quite a bit taller than my other domestic machines. Hope this helps <wave>
Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 AM

I don't know what machine you chose or if you decided on a machine. I went with Babylock because of the motors in the "Choice" series. I have quilters choice and decorators choice. They renamed the series to something musical this year but the machines are the same.

Last month all BL dealers had 1/2 off sale on all models. Knowing when the sales are is really important.

I hope you are happy with whatever choice you have made. I still have my BL ESE II from 15 years ago. I have tried every other machine but just not happy with them but in the beginning I went to BL because the dealer was 55 miles away and the others 100. My shop gives a 15 per cent discount on everything forever when you buy a machine there, fabric and thread and tools.

I waited a year after research and bought during a sale. I love my BL's. I have had four other major mfg'd brands that I loved but they were very much older and just so you know Janome uses mostly plastic, Bernina uses the most metal. That does not mean they are better machines. Good Luck. Let us know what you decided upon please.