Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 AM

We all started sometime and we all have projects we didn't especially like. As everyone above has said... continue on. You will be amazed at what you have accomplished. I am not the best quilter, I long to make a quilt that is half as lovely as a lot I see on here, but I have to say, I love all the quilts I made... even my worst one. You go girl!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 AM

OH no - do NOT give up! What you will have learned will be invaluable. What a blessing it is to have others willing to help you. I had joined a quilt club (mind you - not a guild, lol) years ago and every month there was a lottery block. You made a block, threw it in with all the others - and whomever made one, their name was thrown into the hat and winner took all. I was a newbie...and boy, let me tell you - those ladies were SHARKS. Seriously. They were "discussing" the block I made and literally tore it to shreds with their comments. Needless to say, I left the group shortly thereafter. Here - it sounds like you have a GREAT group of quilters...and I promise you - with that kind of encouragement, you WILL learn much.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 AM

I felt just like you a couple of years ago when I signed up for my first quilt class! Everyone else did such beautiful work; I felt like a big dummy. But I really wanted to learn to quilt so I kept with it and you know what, I learned more from the other quilters in my class than I did from the teacher, I got much better and made a lot of great friends. Stick with it and I'm sure you will find the same to be true!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 AM

I am a newbee also, have been doing BOM's for 4 years now. Last years BOM the last three had up to 132 pieces in a 14x14 block. I felt horrible a complete failure, I also have a friend who sews beautiful and that didn't help my confidence either.
But this year they are a lot less complicated and wow I feel like maybe I might make a quilt out of these. So just keep your chin up and remember each BOM you make is a quilting lesson.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
dont be hard on your self it does not have to be perfect we all started some where. it will be fun to look back at your first quilt and you will marvel at how far you have come.
I still have the my first attempt at knitting that I get out and review periodically. It is indeed ghastly (and I am being kind). There were times when I thought I was not meant to be a knitter, but viewing that piece gave me the courage to continue. I knitted scarves for over a year until I felt confident enough to venture further. It is the same with quilting, I will no quit because I have friends who encourage me constantly. I suggest you put those blocks away until you feel more comfortable about your newly acquired skills.

It is hard to feel good about ones self when everyone around you is making beautiful quilts. They work so fast and for me, I am more interested in learning the process thoroughly. So what if I don't keep up with their progress, it is not a race -- it is a learning experience and the more I lay a good foundation the faster my abilities will improve.

THE IMPORTANT THING IS: DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED AND QUIT. TOMORROW WILL BE BETTER. Also, remember there are lots of tomorrows, even if you only improve one small detail at a time. One day you will have an AHA moment and all those small details will come together. Until then, there are table toppers and runners. Or just choose your own BOM (something you feel comfortable doing), one day your will have your own sampler quilt. Take little steps, do not be intimidated by the ability of others, know that you are learning a valuable skill.

ABOVE ALL, HAVE FUN!!!

P.S. Once I came to terms with the above, I have been having lots more fun at guild and I am more relaxed.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 AM

Boy, do I know how you feel! For me it was the quilters guild in a rather affluent (I'm not - first problem) area which meant they had all the time and resources they needed to turn out WONDERFUL quilts. Extremely intimidating situation. What actually happened was an incredible amount of help and encouragement from ALL of them. As a brand new quilter, I was totally blown away and even though I'm still no where near as good as they are (and never will be) they taught me to just enjoy the process. My seam ripper (the un-sewer) and I are close personal friends because we spend SO much time together. Hang in there and have FUN with it!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 AM

Hey, every quilter was in your shoes at one time. We all start out feeling somewhat intimidated. The thing to remember is 99 percent of quilters would love to help someone new find the joy in quilting. Don't think beyond making the current block.... and if you need help, ask your teacher.... that is what she is there to do.... teach! And if any quilter tells you she/he has never had to rip out seams, don't believe 'em.... cause it's a lie. Even the top quilt show winners have ripped... many times! So take a deep breath and continue on in the group because like childbirth... the end result will be well worth it. Stick with it..... that is where you will find/gain your confidence. I look forward to seeing your post of your finished quilt!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 AM

Please do NOT give up. Every one of the ladies in that group started out at the same place you are. Just do the best you can at this point in your quilting life and be proud each time you conquer a new technique. Your skills will develop the more you practice them. Please do not give up or feel intimidated by more experienced quilters. Goodness I've been at this quilting "passion" for over 40 years and there are still times my points do not meet perfectly. Unless you are planning to enter a huge quilting contest, don't worry about the small things that aren't perfect--Unless its a horribly glaring error, no one will even see it. Just recently I put together a complicated BOM quilt and when completed noticed I had turned the pieces backwards on one block. Know what? I left it and called it creative license. When I showed it at the finishing meeting, only one person saw the error.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 AM

Quiters are nice people and helpful. So cont. and take advantage of their expert help and opinion. you won't regret it and you will learn as you go.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 AM

I wouldn't worry a bit about someone being more experienced than me. We all got to where ever we are now by the same road. If you are worried about "ruining" your expensive fabric could you make a cheater block with something from your stash until you get your confidence up and then use the expensive fabric for your "real" block? I don't worry about other people being better than me. I sew for me and I think I'm just fine and you should think you're just fine too, cause you ARE. :thumbup: