Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: easy binding folding

easy binding folding

For the life of me, I can't recall where I saw this tip, otherwise I would give credit where credit is due.

I've found an easy peasy way to fold binding without a bias tape maker.

Use two pins and thread them through your ironing board leaving an opening that is the width that you want your finished tape to be. (it's a bit easier to thread them through if they are slightly bent. Just leave 4 to 5" between the two. Too far apart and your fabric wants to pop open again before it hits the second pin)

My fabric is double whatever width I want the tape, as it's going to be folded. I thread the fabric through the pins. I have to finagle it just a little bit at times to get the fabric folded the correct way to begin, but that's it. As you thread your fabric through, just make sure you keep it centered and it will virtually fold itself. Just iron as you go. Make sure you don't iron the plastic heads of your pins! It works for single fold and double fold. I can fold and iron a bunch of fabric in very little time.

first pic are the pins. 2nd pic, single fold. 3rd pic, double fold. I hope this helps someone. Hopefully I can do a video soon, so it's clearer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by NatalieF; 07-02-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    thanks, I've seen this one done. now i'm doing binding, the bias way with a piece of fabric on the bias, you measure 2 1/2",and mark the fabric. you sew the fabric in such a way, that you get yards and yards of binding, cut perfectly.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Natalie's method is what I was talking about yesterday on another thread. I have seen it done, and it works.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Kaye Woods had this on her program years ago.. she might have a you tube video of it, you would have to check.

Blog Entries
    Going to try this. Thanks for the tip!

I am definitely going to try this - Thanks!