Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Fabric covered needlework box >

Fabric covered needlework box

Fabric covered needlework box

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Ablolutly Beautiful. good :-) :D :thumbup: job
Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

You did a beautiful job on your box!!! I love the blue and white fabrics :D :D :D
Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I would have to buy them, I am wondering what else I can use to maybe recycle some things,
Would a shoe shop give you some of the boxes that people don't want when they buy shoes? I have, in the past, asked for the larger ones that have boots in them - they would work well. Didn't you say that you had just got Hammy some new boots? If you didn't keep the box, you could perhaps go back to the shop and ask for some empties.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Elle...just caught up....your box is lovely! You are going to make me have to try one...Lesley you mentioned non corrugated...why would that be bad? I do have a few shoe boxes here, but I'll have to go look at the size of the templates to see if they will work. I have a rather large box that someone used to ship me some batting....so...I can't use that huh?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I wrote non corrugated because here, the boxes made of that wouldn't be strong enough, they tend to bend quite easily. If you have some that are nice and firm, I suppose that would be OK - you might have to adjust sizes a little if it is really thick, but possibly not.
I suppose also, I said that because I have never attempted to make one of these boxes with corrugated, I would hate to advise it and then you found it wasn't very strong or something and thought all sorts of uncharitible thoughts towards me because I had said it was OK.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Lacelady,
I have been meaning to ask PCV (ms) glue is? Could you
give a brand name or type for the strength of glue it is, I
have not heard of the type you mentioned before? Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

OK Lesley...I understand about the corrugated...I'll have to play with it a bit just to see...I would never think ugly things about the specifics of your directions though....but of course..when I do mess it up...I'll just blame you for the whole mess! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewlady31
Lacelady,
I have been meaning to ask PCV (ms) glue is? Could you
give a brand name or type for the strength of glue it is, I
have not heard of the type you mentioned before? Thanks
The Pritt, stick glue is the kind sold for schools to stick paper together, but it works well to stick fabric to card too. The PVA is white, and usually sold for woodworking, It is a thick, viscous liquid, but I'm afraid I can't tell you a name, I have a half a gallon that doesn't have a label on it, sorry ( bought it years ago from a wholesaler). I would look for this in any DIY outlet, or builder's merchant. This is the glue that is used to stick the box linings to the outers, because it is stronger, and since the box linings have all the elastic etc on the backs of them the stronger glue holds them better. I also used it to stick the base lining into the base, though I think the Pritt stick would also work on that. I hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
OK Lesley...I understand about the corrugated...I'll have to play with it a bit just to see...I would never think ugly things about the specifics of your directions though....but of course..when I do mess it up...I'll just blame you for the whole mess! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, good job I have broad shoulders, isn't it? But if you mess it up, it's will be your mess!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the help, I will have to get some.