Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Fabric covered needlework box >

Fabric covered needlework box

Fabric covered needlework box

Old 12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

I got all my cardboard cut out today along with the gusset template. Just to make sure Lesley, the 5" measurement on the gusset is the actual side on an angle and not down the center...correct??

So far...I have only a messy room, so the only blame you get so far is that you made it too darn tempting not to try to make one!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Elle, thanks for letting me know about this post, because somehow I missed it when LaceLady posted the tutorial.
Your box came out just beautiful!! What a lovely gift idea.

LaceLady, thank you for posting this tutorial. I have bookmarked it and will definately make one. My sister would love this as a gift and I have just the material for it. Now as to when I can get to it, that is another matter. LOL
Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I got all my cardboard cut out today along with the gusset template. Just to make sure Lesley, the 5" measurement on the gusset is the actual side on an angle and not down the center...correct??

So far...I have only a messy room, so the only blame you get so far is that you made it too darn tempting not to try to make one!
Patti, I just dug out my template and remeasured, it actually measures 4 7/8th inches down the side, but 5 inches will do fine - any excess gets hidden under the box base. Down the centre, it measures 4 5/8th inches. Don't cut them any larger, like you might a patch, i.e. with allowances, they don't need them, and don't forget to place the fold on the top, as that will be on show when the box falls open. The raw side edges get trapped between the box outer sides and box linings.

If you glue two gussets to alternate sides, you can use your clothes pegs to help them stick, and straight pins to help nearer the base of the box. Once those three sides have their gussets attached and dry, then tackle the other three alternate sides. This time you can only use pegs at the top corners, and you need to use straight pins along the sides, pushed into the card to achieve good adhesion.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM

:lol: I am a fixin to stat my needle box, I have printed all the instructions out, and tomorrow or Thursday I am going to get some cardboard and cut outmy templates. The only thing is I can't decide what materialI can use. That is pitiful since I have a room full, decisions, decisions,

By the way is not the 13 yet???? my poor box is loaded down with quilt books, and wantsto be set free. :roll: I might have to give it a peak to make sure nothing insideis broken. :evil:
Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Lesley. I haven't made it any further yet. I had to start dragging out all my Christmas decorating and have that spread all over the house. I'm going to get back to the box as soon as I can though. Thanks for the further explanation on the gussett... :D
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pennyswings
Elle, thanks for letting me know about this post, because somehow I missed it when LaceLady posted the tutorial.
Your box came out just beautiful!! What a lovely gift idea.

LaceLady, thank you for posting this tutorial. I have bookmarked it and will definately make one. My sister would love this as a gift and I have just the material for it. Now as to when I can get to it, that is another matter. LOL
Thank you Pennyswings, I hope you find the time, there is very little sewing, and a couple of evenings would see it done or almost done, once you have the card all cut out.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks Lesley. I haven't made it any further yet. I had to start dragging out all my Christmas decorating and have that spread all over the house. I'm going to get back to the box as soon as I can though. Thanks for the further explanation on the gussett... :D
No problems, Patti, as for the decorations, things like holidays kind of get in the way, don't they? LOL.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Yeah Lesley...the holidays are messing up all my free time... :wink: :lol:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

You know we like it really, well all the goodies anyway, it is all the organising,cleaning, present buying and wrapping, food shopping and cooking, decorating, card writing and a myriad of other things that take up our time beforehand that really gets in the way.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Well, of course you are right Lesley...I'll get back to the box soon though....its to be one of my pressies to give away! And if its successful (which I'm sure it will be)..then I'd like to make more than the 1!