Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A forgotten way to make HST 8 at a time

Thanks for the formula! And IraJane, thanks for the tip about that extra quarter inch and squaring up.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.

I am going to have to try this method. Looks like a great way to do them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks bunches for this. Wish I knew this before I bought the SMUP ruler by Elsia Backporch. But I'm a notion kinda of girl. I haven't actually used it yet. But here is what I'm talking about, and it's kinda limited compared to your method.
    http://www.backporchdesign.com/templ...start_inst.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    Thanks bunches for this. Wish I knew this before I bought the SMUP ruler by Elsia Backporch. But I'm a notion kinda of girl. I haven't actually used it yet. But here is what I'm talking about, and it's kinda limited compared to your method.
    http://www.backporchdesign.com/templ...start_inst.pdf
    Thank you for posting the backporchdesign site ...very interesting especially the last diagram with the 4 different 5 inch squares on the one 10 inch square. This is will be my mission for this afternoon ... Will use the sizes I want instead of the sizes shown but like the idea if 4 different HST is of interest to me. Such fun to learn and share ideas

Judy in Phx, AZ

Blog Entries
    thanks this is a bonus

Blog Entries
    Hi Judy. Hope you are following this conversation 'cause I want to thank you for this great information on HSTs.

I did post a pic of what I did using this method and wanted to post it here also, so you can see what an impact this has had on my work.

After I posted my little quilt top, I was PMed by a member who wanted some of my leftover scraps, so I mailed leftover 4" perfect HSTs to her.

This tip has been paid forward several times now and I just want to thank you again.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t230816.html

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I know this is an old post. I pulled it out of my quick link saved under subscribed threads to use on the shimmer quilt pattern I am making now. One of the best things I learned on the QB was how to save links for future use.

There are no bias edges to worry about. I want to thank Judy363905 for showing this trick to us way back in 2013. My shimmer quilt will sew up a lot faster now. Thanks again. peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 10-27-2018 at 07:43 AM.

ube...how do you save links?

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
    That is the way the paper piecing does HST. I have Triangulations, but there are freebies online. You pick a size, print however many pages you need, lay it on your fabric - sizes are different because of hst sizes. Some you get more of. I love, love doing hst this way. Always right on the money. Sew on the printed lines - I use doodle pads from the dollar store - paper comes right off.
    I also use "Triangulations" CD for PP'ing have all versions which includes Flying Geese. Quick and easy and multi units at once depending on the size...

I use the Magic 8 HST method all the time when I'm not doing huge scrappy. I love this method!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post

Watson
    Great question, Watson. I'm a computer dumb bunny and need all the help I can get!

This is one terrific idea! I've seen and folks on TV quilting shows, but y'all made it easier to understand. I make scrappies all the time, so I can really use this method. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post

Watson
    Hi Watson. It is really easy.

1. look at top of page at the header, find and click on Quick Links.

2. click on Subscribed Threads.

3. To the right-ish side of the screen and down a little, find and click on Thread Tools.

4. click on Subscribe to This Thread.

You can save any thread you want to for later or follow. I use this to save patterns and tips and tutorials. I don't have to search the entire QB or ask for help finding something. You can do this in any thread you are interested in.

Hope this helps. peace

Great idea, i also use the sew and flip method to snowball corners and ALWAYS sew the bonus triangle for a min quilt later.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Thank you. I had forgotten how and couldn't find instructions. Now to get busy making HST's

Thank you, Kitsie! I use the eight-at-a-time method regularly, but when I've needed only four, I've used the sew-around-the-perimeter of a square method. It never occurred to me that I was creating bias edges. I'll use your method in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Hi Watson. It is really easy.

1. look at top of page at the header, find and click on Quick Links.

2. click on Subscribed Threads.

3. To the right-ish side of the screen and down a little, find and click on Thread Tools.

4. click on Subscribe to This Thread.

You can save any thread you want to for later or follow. I use this to save patterns and tips and tutorials. I don't have to search the entire QB or ask for help finding something. You can do this in any thread you are interested in.

Hope this helps. peace
    I can't find Thread Tools anywhere!! Help

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I can't find Thread Tools anywhere!! Help
    Near the top right of the page as indicated by large arrow.

Name:  thread tools.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  46.6 KB
    After you click on that then it will drop down - to be able to subscribe, I didn't go any further.

Name:  subscribe.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  36.7 KB

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-14-2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: add'l info
    Janey & John

To be able to find it later click on settings at the top of the screen then click on bookmarks or subscriptions on the left side of the screen.
    I always bookmark as I don't want emails.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Hi Judy. Hope you are following this conversation 'cause I want to thank you for this great information on HSTs.

I did post a pic of what I did using this method and wanted to post it here also, so you can see what an impact this has had on my work.

After I posted my little quilt top, I was PMed by a member who wanted some of my leftover scraps, so I mailed leftover 4" perfect HSTs to her.

This tip has been paid forward several times now and I just want to thank you again.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t230816.html

peace
    Ube you are so welcome, just notice this thread had been visited. Happy quilting 2019 everyone

Judy in Phx, AZ

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

Blog Entries
    This is the only way I make HSTs now. So thank you again. I hope s thread gets lots of replies so everyone can learn this great technique.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2