Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A forgotten way to make HST 8 at a time

Smile A forgotten way to make HST 8 at a time

Years ago I learned to make 8 HST at a time. Had not used the method for a long long time. I was amazed how nice they turned out. So I thought I would share just in case others have forgotten also.

The finished size of the HST then multiply by 2 and add 1-3/4 ins.

Example: 3 inch finished HST.
    Would be 3 x 2 + 1-3/4 inch. = 7-3/4 square

Cut two squares 7-3/4 in. Place on grit board right side to right side and draw a line corner to corner and then lines to split block in half -- in this example at 3-7/8 in horizontal and vertical. Sew scant 1/4 in on both sizes of X lines. Using a rotating cutting mat and rotary cutter, cut on horizontal and vertical lines and between the stitched lines of the X. This equals 8 3-1/2 " HST.

Really fun and fast if you are using HST's for a border or a block that uses many HST I just has to trim off the ears...

Does this ring any bells?

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Last edited by judy363905; 09-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Blog Entries

How clever, and the formula is so simple. Can make any size from this formula...I will save this one! Thanks.

Missouri star quilt co have a youtube using this method and layer cakes for a quick quilt.x

Blog Entries
    thanks for the reminder... i do forget that method until after i've done it the long way
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Oh my I'll have to remember this!

Awesome! I have not seen this before and it's a great way not to have to deal with the bias. I will cut a bunch for leaders/enders. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    This is a great method to make a lot of HSTs real fast. Thanks. I am going to try it right now. It is 10am and I will post when done.

It took me 12 minutes to pick fabric, starch & press, draw lines, sew, cut, and press open. Not bad timing. The most time was spent finding the fabric.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

That is the way the paper piecing does HST. I have Triangulations, but there are freebies online. You pick a size, print however many pages you need, lay it on your fabric - sizes are different because of hst sizes. Some you get more of. I love, love doing hst this way. Always right on the money. Sew on the printed lines - I use doodle pads from the dollar store - paper comes right off.
    Judi in Ohio

Blog Entries
    I use this method:

Name:  HSTs.gif.jpg
Views: 6251
Size:  572.6 KB
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    Yes, Gale the only difference is that you do not have to trim HST just have to trim off ears and your have the size you want.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
    Awesome! I have not seen this before and it's a great way not to have to deal with the bias. I will cut a bunch for leaders/enders. Thanks for posting.
    Yes I like that there are not bias edges, on the Missouri Star tutorial swing around the outside edge and square and cutting makes the HST with bias outside edges. Sometimes that is ok and some times not.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I use this method:

Name:  HSTs.gif.jpg
Views: 6251
Size:  572.6 KB
    Kirstie... Thank you for posting the drawings ...so much better than my explanation (but I did try lol)

Judy in Phx, AZ

This is an awesome way to make many HSTs of varied colors for a scrappy quilt. I love the ease of doing this!!

Excellent! Thanks so much -putting this in my helpful hints binder.
    ( Ż`v´Ż )
    `·.¸.·´ ♥
    ¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨) Sheri in Texas
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

I've never seen this method. Thanks so much for the tip. Great method to use when you need multiples.

Blog Entries
    I bought this template ruler and use it all the time. It sure saves me a ton of time and no math and no worry about perfect 1/4 inch seams. http://www.ctpub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=2570
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Here is the formula I use:

Using the finished size of hst add 1 inch to that number. Take that number times 2 and add 1/4" to that number. i.e if you want 2" FINISHED hst you would add 2 plus 1 = 3. Then multiply 3x2 = 6, then add 1/4" = 6 1/4.

Take 2 squares that are each 6 1/4", place them right sides together. Draw a diagonal line from each corner to opposite corner and then a horizontal and vertical line at each half point of the square. Stitch 1/4" away from each DIAGONAL line. After stitching cut down the center of the square horizontally and vertically. You will then cut between the stitched lines to produce 8 hst. Press and square up if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    Years ago I learned to make 8 HST at a time. Had not used the method for a long long time. I was amazed how nice they turned out. So I thought I would share just in case others have forgotten also.

The finished size of the HST then multiply by 2 and add 1-3/4 ins.

Example: 3 inch finished HST.
    Would be 3 x 2 + 1-3/4 inch. = 7-3/4 square

Cut two squares 7-3/4 in. Place on grit board right side to right side and draw a line corner to corner and then lines to split block in half -- in this example at 3-7/8 in horizontal and vertical. Sew scant 1/4 in on both sizes of X lines. Using a rotating cutting mat and rotary cutter, cut on horizontal and vertical lines and between the stitched lines of the X. This equals 8 3-1/2 " HST.

Really fun and fast if you are using HST's for a border or a block that uses many HST I just has to trim off the ears...

Does this ring any bells?

Judy in Phx, AZ

I had just learnt how to make 8 HSTs from two squares which I thought was brilliant. But even more Brilliant is your telling me how to work out the size of the squares - thank you so much. Am off to write than down in my own book of tips!

Blog Entries
    all wonderful tips... I haven't done anything big with HSTs but have added these tutorials to my "favorites." Thank you for sharing...

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Love your idea of doodle pads . . . I'll go check them out TODAY! Thanks !!

I use and teach that method all the time except that for finished 3" squares and using 7 3/4" squares, I use 8" and square up the HST blocks after they are pressed. There isn't much to trim, but they are so accurate that way.

simple and easy way to get lots of diff. hst and use up some scraps!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Hi judy363905, so true I used this method years ago, I guess sometimes the old ways are best.Some of the fancy -- and expensive rulers etc. are really not needed- better to ask older members how they do things and save your money for fabric --- can't replace that ! Love Letty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast