Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
My Avatar Pattern >

My Avatar Pattern

My Avatar Pattern

Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 PM

pagan....

the link that you so kindly gave us didn't work for me. didn't need to really. i got it all.

my question is this. are there seam allowances in there or should we add them. i'm not familiar with EQ so i don't know the formatting. i agree about the 15/16" thing. maybe just go to the next inch. have you made this yet?

66 x 66, right? i see it in greens and blues (maybe some purple for accent).
also, with a 5" cover all around, it would be a wall-cover, not a wall hanging, for a bigger empty wall.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 PM

i meant 5" border, not 'cover'. duh!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Was able to down load to my mac power book without any problems. thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Well the freeweb thing just took me back to the original post. So I saved the file then got that same admin. message when I tried to open, but then I clicked explore and the 4 folders were there. My one comment is about the diamond piece not all printing out on the same page, could you resize that page to the legal instead of letter size?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Well the freeweb thing just took me back to the original post. So I saved the file then got that same admin. message when I tried to open, but then I clicked explore and the 4 folders were there. My one comment is about the diamond piece not all printing out on the same page, could you resize that page to the legal instead of letter size?
I'll have to try fiddling around with that one. Thanks! :)

Note: Found it's easy to adjust the way that log cabin foundation works, using legal size as you suggested! :)
Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
pagan....

the link that you so kindly gave us didn't work for me. didn't need to really. i got it all.

my question is this. are there seam allowances in there or should we add them. i'm not familiar with EQ so i don't know the formatting. i agree about the 15/16" thing. maybe just go to the next inch. have you made this yet?

66 x 66, right? i see it in greens and blues (maybe some purple for accent).
also, with a 5" cover all around, it would be a wall-cover, not a wall hanging, for a bigger empty wall.
Which part were you wondering about with the seam allowances?

Oh, I see... the measurements included a seam allowance, around the templates, rotary cutting, and the outside of the foundation pieced log cabin stars. The allowances are accounted for in the rest of the block, paper piecing. :)
Old 11-06-2008, 08:13 PM

i'll bet you're sorry you ever started this. between the sizing and the printing problems and the downloading stuff, you got more than you bargained for. the quilt design is just so pretty that we all want to try it. should we add seam allowances?
there. one more question!

thanks for putting up with us all.

butterflywing
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 PM

Sorry? You've got to be kidding! :) I'm finding that re-sizing the pattern isn't doing much for the 1/16" thing, that may be a cross to be borne for now. I'll keep trying.

I was probably adjusting the previous post as you were writing, so take a look again :)
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM

it looks like we crossed messages there. on all of the pattern pieces, it shows the measurement to cut, such as the hst and the 9-square. i'm assuming that we have to add 1/4" to all the edges for each piece except the paper pieced diamond, which would only get the 1/4" on the outside edge.

have i got that right? the drawings don't include seam allowances, do they?

did i explain that right?

okay...the cutting lines include the seam allowance. the foundation diamond
gets the extra 1/4" added to the drawing, as shown by the dotted lines.

please bear with me here. what size should the diamond be? the other pieces show the cutting size, but i don't see a size diagram for the strips that make up the large diamond. when i print it out, will that be the correct size that fits in with the other shown sizes? as i said, i don't know EQ at all. it feels like it would print too small for the rest of the pieces. but i've been known to be wrong before.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 PM

I believe the seam allowance measurements are already included. If it sets your mind at ease, you could make a border sample using your loud, "oh-my-god-what-was-I-thinking" fabrics to see how it works out. If all else fails, you'll have a row for a strippy quilt!