Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
My Avatar Pattern >

My Avatar Pattern

My Avatar Pattern

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM

:D you're very right. i probably could have made one by now. :oops:
lol 2x

i have to at least put one corner together with a foundation diamond piece to see if the pieces fit. :lol: :lol:

thanks again and have a g'night.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:41 PM

you too! And don't worry, this isn't near as bad as one massive quilt project I got into the middle of, around February 2003 (think about the space shuttle Columbia)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Another possible solution I thought of would be to put out templates for the Nine Patch blocks, and the borders/sides/corners, instead of rotary cutting. Would this help?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I looked at the pattern last night and since I'm still a newbie (I like that excuse :lol: )..the 16th measurements really scare me. Also, I looked at the cutting diagrams and some of the angles for the triangles are like 46 degrees instead of 45's, etc. So, I'm thinking that it might be better in the case of some of the pieces to provide templates. It sure is gorgeous...I'd love to make it.

Elle,...You go girl...are you done with it yet?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Paganquilter
Another possible solution I thought of would be to put out templates for the Nine Patch blocks, and the borders/sides/corners, instead of rotary cutting. Would this help?
great mind definitely think alike.

i thought i would cut out each piece in paper without the seam allowances, lay them out, and see if they fit. i'll tape each piece down as i go so nothing shifts.

i hate to waste fabric and this will be much faster than cutting and sewing.
i couldn't get this out of my head all night. i don't like to lose a challenge and you sound like you don't either. i can't do it this week, but it's on for next week for sure. i 'll keep you informed.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
great mind definitely think alike.

i thought i would cut out each piece in paper without the seam allowances, lay them out, and see if they fit. i'll tape each piece down as i go so nothing shifts.

i hate to waste fabric and this will be much faster than cutting and sewing.
i couldn't get this out of my head all night. i don't like to lose a challenge and you sound like you don't either. i can't do it this week, but it's on for next week for sure. i 'll keep you informed.
Sounds good :D Sometimes, the old-fashioned way IS best. Can't substitute anything for good templates at times.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Anybody been brave enough to actually try starting this one? I'm sorry the side and corner templates haven't been posted yet, got caught up in offline matters :( I haven't forgotten!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM

For those brave souls who would like to try the pattern, please--ask questions galore! The questions addressed here will help me put together suitable written instructions, and also show me what to keep in mind for future patterns. It's probably simpler to keep questions in this thread, rather than get bombarded with PM's.

Pictures of finished work posted here or in the pictures section would be more than welcome! :)

Thank you so much for being willing to give a budding designer a shot! :) It's more appreciated than you can know!

Hi, I just found this post. I love the pattern. I can do it but won't start untill after Jan.1 So hope you are ready then in case I have ?'s. Does not look like I will though. I can do all three/four of the blocks and the rest is just piecing it together. It is going to be beautiful. Now to find the right fabric. I think I might use batik. :D
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM

pagan (did your mother name you that?) -

i have the original pattern that you posted, that were odd fractions. as i recall, those pieces had 1/16" in them, right? do you think it will work by just upping up to the nearest 1/8" or 1/4" or something? i'd like to give this a go in february. i was ready to cut in paper when the fraction question came up , so i waited a bit (no hurry), but i'm wondering if it's possible to just jump it up a tiny bit.

to tell the truth, i don't know what measurements are good anymore. now i'm all confused.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
pagan (did your mother name you that?) -

i have the original pattern that you posted, that were odd fractions. as i recall, those pieces had 1/16" in them, right? do you think it will work by just upping up to the nearest 1/8" or 1/4" or something? i'd like to give this a go in february. i was ready to cut in paper when the fraction question came up , so i waited a bit (no hurry), but i'm wondering if it's possible to just jump it up a tiny bit.

to tell the truth, i don't know what measurements are good anymore. now i'm all confused.
The pattern I have is 1/16th too. I think I will just do my own size and figure out the measurements. I guess the diamond is going to be the most diffucult in size. I have EQ6 maybe I can play with it there. :D