Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Quick and Easy Binding >

Quick and Easy Binding

Quick and Easy Binding

Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 AM

I love to do my bindings back to front. Sometimes a decorative stitch on the front is nice.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ceegee
great! but I have a question: When you say top stitch the front, are you referring to a straight stitch or a special stitch? If you use a special stitch ,would you describe it?
I haven't made a decent binding yet.
carol(ceegee)
Carol, on this quilt I just did a straight stitch but i did a table runner and used a decorative stitch. I have a Baby Lock Quilter's Dream and used the stitch that looks like leaves. Any decorative stitch should work as long as it catches both the binding and quilt top.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Matilda
This is a very nice tutorial. Thank you so much! Your quilts are beautiful. What is the name of the one in the bottom picture with the squares and stars? Thank you.
It came from Eleanor Burn's Tennessee Waltz book. It looks more complicated than it is, although I did buy the ruler that she sells on her Quilt in a Day website that helps make the star points.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks to everyone who left a comment! I am still a fairly new quilter so I really appreciate your feedback. I don't know about another tutorial-I'm still learning so much from all of you I can't imagine that could teach anything you don't already know! If you have any suggestions of how i could do better, please, please let me know. If I ever do another tute I will be sure include the 'why' as well as the 'what and how'. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
cc

Thank you so much! Binding intimidates me so much, but I will try this method!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM

This was a great help for those of us who want to get it done quickly. The pictures are great and the stitch widths really help explain the whys! Thanks so much!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Excellent tutorial...share more ideas with us. I've been hand stitching mine on the back but worry about how well that will hold up in a utility quilt. I'll try this next time.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM

I really enjoyed the pictures and description. That looks like a great solution for a baby quilt that will be used and washed a lot. Your quilt is darling too.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM

I thought I was the only one who did my bindings the way you have discovered doing yours. I cannot do hand stitching...it is too tedious. I decided -quilt police- be damned. I do it your way and am satisfied with the results. HOORAY for US!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by barbb baumgardner
I thought I was the only one who did my bindings the way you have discovered doing yours. I cannot do hand stitching...it is too tedious. I decided -quilt police- be damned. I do it your way and am satisfied with the results. HOORAY for US!!!
Probably if I was ever going to enter anything into a quilt show or fair I would hand stitch, but i am a looooong way from that level. Most of my blankets have been for grandkids and I'm more concerned about them surviving multiple washings than a close inspection of my workmanship. I was told once that the binding is the first thing to wear on a quilt, so I always double the fabric and the topstitching ensures that it won't be pulling loose. Thanks for thumbs up!