Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Quick and Easy Binding >

Quick and Easy Binding

Quick and Easy Binding

Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM

I am new to this forum. In the two days I have been viewing the tutorials, I have had many issues concerning my quilting cleared and am excitied about that.

Question on the "Quick and Easy Binding" - how does one do the miters. I do well with miters when the binding is sewed to the front, and hand stiched to the back, but am at a loss conerning this procedure.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I am new to this forum. In the two days I have been viewing the tutorials, I have had many issues concerning my quilting cleared and am excitied about that.

Question on the "Quick and Easy Binding" - how does one do the miters. I do well with miters when the binding is sewed to the front, and hand stiched to the back, but am at a loss conerning this procedure.
There are a couple quick and easy mitering tools out there. I have one and it is great. When you have your backing ready to turn to the front, you draw a diagonal line across the folds, turn it right sides together, stitch on the line you drew, cut the excess, turn the miter and voila it is ready to stitch down. Check clotilde.com or nancysnotions.com. Mine is a clear green plastic with markings on it for the miter.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

There are a couple quick and easy mitering tools out there. I have one and it is great. When you have your backing ready to turn to the front, you draw a diagonal line across the folds, turn it right sides together, stitch on the line you drew, cut the excess, turn the miter and voila it is ready to stitch down. Check clotilde.com or nancysnotions.com. Mine is a clear green plastic with markings on it for the miter.
Clotilde and Nancy's notions both have them. The one I have is $16.48 at Clotilde and$16.95 at nancy's notions. As far as I'm concerned it is well worth the price.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM

This technique is the same as what you are familiar with, just working from the back to start, rather from front to back ... The miters are accomplished in the same manner ... the corners? Well .... okay, I confess!
I zigzag stitch up the angle and back, when I am finishing the binding with the machine ... If I were handstitching, it is the same concept ... hope that helps <wave>
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM

Marcy J and Grann of 6-

Honestly the corners frustrate me both ways, front to back or back to front. What Grann of 6 said is how I do it too. I fold the corner and stitch into the inside corner and then pivot and keep stitching down the next side. That leaves the diagonal part of the corner open and I go back and hand tack that portion. Is that clear as mud? :-)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Marcy J and Grann of 6-

Honestly the corners frustrate me both ways, front to back or back to front. What Grann of 6 said is how I do it too. I fold the corner and stitch into the inside corner and then pivot and keep stitching down the next side. That leaves the diagonal part of the corner open and I go back and hand tack that portion. Is that clear as mud? :-)
That is not how I do it. I miter that corner by turning it inside out and machine stitch, cut the triangle point off, turn it out and press with the seam open and then stitch it down, no opening in the corner. If need be I will try a tutorial on it. It is really very easy, once you have tried it.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Do a tutorial, please. I'd love to see a better way. Mine usually looks like I goofed the corners.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Do a tutorial, please. I'd love to see a better way. Mine usually looks like I goofed the corners.
Okay, I may not get to it till tomorrow. I am trying to finish up a bow tucks purse with a zipper in it. And later I am going to see my oldest grandson before he heads off to college first thing in the morning.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks so much for this great tutorial. I am always learning something new on this forum. :thumbup:
Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 AM

My corners are never very nice. I look and drool when I go to a quilt show and all their corners are so nice and square. At least one of mine is weak looking. Tutorial? Thanks so much.