Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • #12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >
  • #12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

• #12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 02-28-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    Help! I think I have some good options, but would like your HONEST opinions. (please, I have thick skin and want to hear what you really think!)
    First, I have lots of black and white prints as I make lots of black and white quilts. So they are my first "go to" thoughts. I tried to pick those with the smallest, least bold print designs in my stash. They are shown in the first and second photos.
    Second, I also have lots of grays, as I use lots of them too (I make mostly modern type quilts), so they are my second 'go to' for the neutrals. (I just don't use browns/tans very often). The grays are in the third photo.
    Then, I have LOTS of brights, and am showing 3 different sets of 4, but they are all pretty similar to me.
    So, what do you guys think?
    Oh, and I will use plain solid white as my "E" fabric as I buy that by the bolt!!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]543686[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]543687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]543688[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]543689[/ATTACH]

My first choice would be to combine your top set of brights with the lightest greys for neutrals, and all the blacks minus the lattice one.

I really like those springy shades and the print variety. There's something about the bottom set of brights that seems "off to me, but not sure what.

Your black with the lattice is probably too big in scale from what I gather. Jeanne also told me (when I was contemplating the black/white palette--which I have since changed my mind about) to make sure I used black with small white or mostly black.(I'm not quoting, but the gist was to keep it solid-looking with minimal white since white/black would compete with E.) Clear as mud?

Last edited by zozee; 02-28-2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarification
    Old 02-28-2016, 08:02 PM

Help! I think I have some good options, but would like your HONEST opinions. (please, I have thick skin and want to hear what you really think!)
    First, I have lots of black and white prints as I make lots of black and white quilts. So they are my first "go to" thoughts. I tried to pick those with the smallest, least bold print designs in my stash. They are shown in the first and second photos.
    Second, I also have lots of grays, as I use lots of them too (I make mostly modern type quilts), so they are my second 'go to' for the neutrals. (I just don't use browns/tans very often). The grays are in the third photo.
    Then, I have LOTS of brights, and am showing 3 different sets of 4, but they are all pretty similar to me.
    Oh, and I will use plain solid white as my "E" fabric as I buy that by the bolt!!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]543686[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]543687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]543688[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]543689[/ATTACH]
    I love, love, love the black and white sets. For colors if you like bright I'd choose the last set with the orange- but I also like the first colors with pink. Would love the last set most if you switched out the aqua/green for the chartreuse from the first set. My choice: Orange, blue, chartreuse, last purple, with blacks and whites. (Just my choice because you asked... but all are nice.) I called it chartreuse but you might call it lime.

Last edited by Just Jan; 02-28-2016 at 08:08 PM.
    Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Oh the train, it's started!! This one looks so neat and I love the choices so far!
    Still working on mine...hmmm.

Jeanne S, love em all really but the first set sings to me. I guess I'd really like to see all three sewn up.
    Old 02-28-2016, 11:15 PM

Hi there, my fave is the middle one, it just seems more balanced somehow. The muted selections will be more calming.

Second colour choice would be option 1, cos I really like the bold blacks.....

Cheers, K
    Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 AM

This is my selection so far. E is a Batik and has a light blue tint, really isn't as dark as it appears. The lights seem to blend but they run from beige to cream. Will this work. I am making buns and Peach Kuchen to put in the club car.
    Attached Thumbnails 20160229_092300_resized.jpg  
    Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Gramquilter 2... When will the peach kuchen be ready? I sure don't want to miss out on that! YUM
    Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

Jeanne, I love poka dots. Your fabrics are great. So many pretty varities being shown. Glad I don't have to choose for everyone. lol.
    Old 02-29-2016, 09:38 AM

I might have made my choices...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]543736[/ATTACH]
    What fun and I'm running to the club car to get some goodies. Will be bringing oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips. If I can run without dropping them, that is.

Like your choices Gramquilter. In fact, like them all. Gonna be fun to see all of these finished.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by Bluebonnets; 02-29-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: My sentence was a run-on
    Old 02-29-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
    This is my selection so far. E is a Batik and has a light blue tint, really isn't as dark as it appears. The lights seem to blend but they run from beige to cream. Will this work. I am making buns and Peach Kuchen to put in the club car.
    Any chance of getting the recipe for the Peach Kuchen??? Please, and thank you.
    Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaba
    Judy, Fabric E is a very light off white. Not a stark white but way lighter than cream.
    Just so long as there is good contrast.