Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you Expect too much from others? >
  • Do you Expect too much from others?

• Do you Expect too much from others?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Seems a lot seem to expect just because they like something that EVERYONE should.
    It's ok for people to dislike what you like in life. It is not hurtful for them to do that, it is being honest about who they are.
    That is what makes us unique individuals.
    Expecting everyone else to do and see things the way you do will only end up with you feeling frustrated.
    It is probably not what they view as important in life. That is OK too.
    Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Well, the rule of my Mama's pinch on the arm is, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." So, after many years, with one or two scars on my arm, if I don't like something, I have learned to compliment something that has caught my eye, instead of seeing something as a whole. Or, just saying nothing at all :)
    Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM

You're right. If we all liked the same thing, think how dull life would be. Everything would be red or blue or whatever the favorite color was.

And what problems it would cause if everyone wanted the same things, the same job and gee whiz I would really get tired of that same song playing over and over again.

Yep, you're right.

Having many different tastes in the world is a wonderful thing.
    Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 PM

I'm alot more tollerant of other peoples opinions since I've been on the anti whacko pills! LOL!!!! Just remember; some people have trouble finding an acceptable way to relate, so they grasp on to anything.... think of it like this.... maybe they haven't been socialized properly......
    Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
    Power Poster

I am and have learned quickly to mind my own business.
    Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM

It's ok to say sorry, that is not my thing. It's not hurtful, it's honest.
    I would rather someone tell me honestly that they didn't like what I got for them, than to put on a show.
    I would also ask and find out what their likes and dislikes were before I made or purchase things for them!
    I made an afghan one time, my brother saw it as I was finishing it - around Christmas time. He was the only one who made a comment - WOW that is nice! - guess what his Christmas present was. He now proudly displays it on his sofa at his condo.
    The next year I made one for my sister - gave it to her Christmas - took me almost a year to make - King size. It ended up on the floor where it was never used and I think it was thrown out (not sure, don't care) If she did throw it out, she was not thinking. Reciently she and her hubby have been complaining how chilly it is in their basement, hmmmmm that nice thick afghan would be nice n warm huh?
    The colors went with her decor too.
    Point is, you have no control over how others choose to react.
    Old 03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    I would rather someone tell me honestly that they didn't like what I got for them, than to put on a show.
    I would also ask and find out what their likes and dislikes were before I made or purchase things for them!
    I made an afghan one time, my brother saw it as I was finishing it - around Christmas time. He was the only one who made a comment - WOW that is nice! - guess what his Christmas present was. He now proudly displays it on his sofa at his condo.
    The next year I made one for my sister - gave it to her Christmas - took me almost a year to make - King size. It ended up on the floor where it was never used and I think it was thrown out (not sure, don't care) If she did throw it out, she was not thinking. Reciently she and her hubby have been complaining how chilly it is in their basement, hmmmmm that nice thick afghan would be nice n warm huh?
    I have a queen size crocheted bedspread. It is beautiful, white granny squares with red roses. My late MIL made it in her 80's. I treasure it! I have it in the closet because it is really heavy and white, so it gets dirty really easily. I found out that my late husband's niece lost hers in a fire. It makes me sad that it is not being used. My goal is to gift it to her, but right now I can't afford the postage from Idaho to Oregon.
    Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    I have a queen size crocheted bedspread. It is beautiful, white granny squares with red roses. My late MIL made it in her 80's. I treasure it! I have it in the closet because it is really heavy and white, so it gets dirty really easily. I found out that my late husband's niece lost hers in a fire. It makes me sad that it is not being used. My goal is to gift it to her, but right now I can't afford the postage from Idaho to Oregon.
    Why is yarn so darn heavy lol.
    Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM
    Power Poster

I don't know why it is heavy, but it really is.
    Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Sometimes people say or type things and they have no idea how they sound to the other person. I think eveyone says things they probably should not say.