Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help  and encouragement... >

Need help and encouragement...

Need help and encouragement...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM

I have never been a high energy person but the older I get the harder I find it is to concerntrate. And sleep is the very best form of escape. Some days are better than others.
My suggestion would be to set small goals each day...baby steps. Also, think about your caffeine intake and sleep patterns. I am at my worst when I don't sleep well and can't catch a nap (for whatever reason). Also, I am better when I don't have the TV on (ie DH is not up yet or has already gone to bed). Music helps, especially lively music.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM

I know what you are feeling. You do need to focus on just geting one thing done. Dixiechunk is right, just set small goals. Good luck! Are you meds causing the problem? When Dr's prescribed stuff for me I always need to go 1/2 the amt of medication because of my size.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 AM

OMGosh.....I could've written that, if only it included some day dreaming and alot of procrastination!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM

This would be me too. I hate being like that so much. Makes for a some what cluttered house and always behind!

A doc once gave me meds for Adult ADD. The low dose made me feel really good, I felt better. He kept thinking I should up the dose...insisted on it in fact. I got to a point of being non-functional but he told me that I had to stay on them because I was addicted by now. I went to another doc and he had a fit. I asked him to help me get off of them. He suggested I could just stop them but I was afraid to do that since the other doc told me I was addicted... the new doc wrote out a plan for me to take the pills (just in case of addiction) so I would not crash. The great thing was, I was not addicted...stopped cold turkey and never had a problem at all and I had my mind back. DOCTORS!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM

When I have a busy weekend coming up I make a list but I was definitely a fliter this past weekend and got nothing accomplished. I was just bummed and couldn't seem to settle on any task, whether it had to be done or whether it was fun. I find that the less structure I have and the less I have to do, the less I get done. I was actually glad to go back to work today.

Susan
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone. All good comments. Oh yes, I got a lot of things done when I worked. Probably stressed too much over it, too. One doctor told me to "unstress" so I wouldn't hurt so bad but then when I have a reasonably good day, I want to do so much! I have lists and lists for my lists. LOL Right now I have managed to mail 1 letter and mop half my kitchen! :) Yes, the computer eats up a lot of time but I would probably be sleeping if I wasn't on-line. It sure is heck getting older! My mind is whirling but my body is drooping!!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Having someone come in every other week to do some of the housework has really freed me up from the pressure of too much to do. Do you think maybe you're just overwhelmed by so much stuff to do and nobody to help you?

If so, then what can you let go?

Hugs....
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM

I did this too yesterday. Started the first row of QAYG and hated it! So happily thinking no prob will start over cause otherwise won't get finished. Start cleaning the sewing room, played checkers with the furniture and went to Ikea and bought 2 new bookcases - never got around to starting over!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM

I have to make s list, decide what I am going to do today, and make it one thing... I know we have problems with the computer, tv etc. but if we combine what we are doing, like watching tv,just crochet or exercise or sweep the floor, we don't have to watch every secong of burn notice or white collar or the other ones!

thats what I am learning to do now. as for this "computer, if I am not typing, and just looking at, say the quilting board, I try to improvise in doing something else while reading some of these messages. I am not a perfectionist, and like someone said here on this board, don't expect perfection,anyway, you can do it when you set your mind to it! hey giving you a huge hug, you helped me recently, so heres a hug from me.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Well your just a beautiful butterfly fluttering around taking it all in. Just enjoy that you have the energy to get something done.