Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18... >
  • Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

• Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM

My son was a cocky jerk most of the time (with glimpses of the loving little boy he'd been) long before 18. At 22 after a year in the Air Force, he was back to being nice again....and now he's a dad. It's wonderful to sit back and watch, and know that in spite of it all----I did something right with him! :)

Don't worry, this too shall pass....yours will grow up just fine. Be patient!
    Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 PM
    Power Poster

My 3 sons were all pains at the ages of 16-18. They went on to change back into wonderful guys and remain so.
    Don't worry!! :D:D:D
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Prayer. Great book by Stormie Omartian... "The Power Of Praying For Your Adult Children"
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 AM

I'd say about 25 for sons, 27 for daughters.
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
    One day they will come and tell that you are not as dumb as they thought. It will dawn on children one day that they have become their parents. When either time happens you sit back and laugh and say 'I told you so".
    My dad told me one time, if you teach your kids excellent core values before teenage years, they will always come back to those values. I think all kids when they turn 18 have the know it all attitude. They want to move out (thinking life will be easier and much more fun) let them move....but almost a possitive..that door will be a revolving door. My kids are now 28, 27 and 24 (all boys), all married and the 28 year old has 2 children, the 27 y/o has 1 child and the 24 y/o just married last Sept and no children yet. Now when they call and say Anthony just did this or that... we laugh..and say...oh we remember those days... The 28 y/o suffered from severe ADHD so he was more of a challenge.
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 AM
    Power Poster

My oldest, a dd was the worst. I remember her saying, "My friends say now that I am 18 I dont have to follow your rules!"
    So I told her to move to her friends house and let them pay her bills an feed her.....
    She did grow up and turn nicer, but it took about a year, lol!
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 AM

My daughter became a headache at age 14 but by age 18 she recognized that she depended on us and she was a pleasure to be around. My son is now 17 and I have a suspicion he will not be as easy when he turns 18. He mentioned the other day that he will like to live with his girlfriend while attending college, therefore not in campus. My answer was that I don't support anyone who is not in the dorms, so he is on his own. His answer was that he can get a job and I couldn't help but to laugh. He has seen me looking for a job for over a year, with maturity, with experience, and connections, and he is convinced that he will graduate high school, go to any city where he decides to go to college, and will find a job that will pay for his education, housing, food and a girlfriend, and still have enough time to go to school and do well becoming and Astrophysicist. I left him with that though and I am now sure he will be in the dorms.
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Mine is 35 and I am still waiting!
    Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM

My oldest is turning 20 and am waiting...
    Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 AM

My son was very full of himself so he not only became arrogant, but extremely disrespectul. I asked him to leave, the war was on. Because of some issues, I got an order to have him removed. So he calls his grandma and my sister with the attitude of 'I'll show her', and within a month, they also asked him to leave. We didn't speak for about 6 months. It isn't always about caring or not caring, it is about life lessons and self-preservation. We are very close now and a day doesn't go by without an email or a call. He is my baby, but he learned a valuable lesson; I taught him how to respect me. Dr. Phil says we teach people how to treat us, I taught my son that I do have a cut-off.