Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bed quilts for everyday use >
  • Bed quilts for everyday use

• Bed quilts for everyday use

Old 09-04-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Bed quilts for everyday use

I need to replace a couple of quilts we have been using on our beds for many years. They are wearing out. I want utility quilts that are warm. I have several quilts that I have hand quilted that I use for spreads, but don't want them to be utility quilts. I need something that is easy and fast.I don't want to hand quilt these quilts and I don't want to pay to have them machine quilted. I have a small stash and am thinking of making a couple of quilts mock/faux cathedral window with circles and a square of batting in each circle, quilt as you go. It looks deceptively simple, but I am wondering if it will be as fast or easy as it appears. I would appreciate input.
    Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 PM

i love rail fence. it works so well and sews up so fast with strip piecing. needs no fancy quilting at all.

aileen
    Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 PM

We use flannel rag quilts as drag around utility quilts. Very warm and cosy and quick to make.
    Old 09-04-2015, 11:52 PM

I am very fond of the basic patchwork - nothing fancy, very scrappy. You can even do them as seasonal - I have one with just Halloween fabric and another one that is all Christmas. They are fun and quick. I usually use 5 inch squares.

Another one I have done is Turning Twenty. But instead of using Fat Quarters I just bought 1/4 yard of fabric and adjusted the pattern squares from there. Then when the blocks were put together I used a sashing between them which seemed to high-light the fabric in the squares. Wish I had a picture of it, it was really fun to make and super fast.
    Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe a Fun and Done quilt.

https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284
    Old 09-05-2015, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    There appears to be a lot of quilts here that are quilt as you go. For utility quilts they look great!! Think I might have to put one of these on my list. Thanks.
    Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 AM

A lady wrote that she was making the faux cathedral window was extremely tedious because she was button stitching around each petal. I wanted to do one before her review of the process. Rail fence or jelly roll race for speed and ease.
    Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 AM

All of my beds have hand quilted quilts on top - I change them as the mood strikes, or the seasons change. all are strip pieced quilts, nothing fancy, yet warm and comfy. Animals are not permitted on the beds, so they are not torn...and every year I make at least one for us.
    Old 09-06-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Genden
    I need to replace a couple of quilts we have been using on our beds for many years. They are wearing out. I want utility quilts that are warm. I have several quilts that I have hand quilted that I use for spreads, but don't want them to be utility quilts. I need something that is easy and fast.I don't want to hand quilt these quilts and I don't want to pay to have them machine quilted. I have a small stash and am thinking of making a couple of quilts mock/faux cathedral window with circles and a square of batting in each circle, quilt as you go. It looks deceptively simple, but I am wondering if it will be as fast or easy as it appears. I would appreciate input.
    Here's a link to the retirement quilt I made using the quilt as you method and the ten minute block. It turned out pretty good to me. Point being, it was made with the quilt as you method.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t247229.html
    Serita
    Old 09-06-2015, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think Cathedral window is quick at all but then I made one back in the 80s. Warm Wishes is a quick quilt and the instruction are free on the internet.