Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding, binding,binding >

binding, binding,binding

binding, binding,binding

Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 AM

oh how I hate doing binding. I think its just because I really dont know how to do it and I dont like doing things that are alien to me that could ruin my project.
Is it just something I need to keep practicing till Im comfortable with it? I did do a binding on a wall quilt and a twin bed quilt. It was hell. LOL
it has been a long time since Ive finished a project to have to do it again and I feel like Ive never done one. I wanted to turn some blocks that I mistakenly cut off my 1/4" seam allowance into mug rugs. figured I would put a nice binding on it. sigh. Is there any hope for me? I wish there was someone local that could help me and give me lessons. just venting. JoAnn
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

I know, binding is not one of my like to do projects.I think it gets better with practice.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 AM

There is loads of good binding advice in the tutorial section here - different methods, corners, etc. I'm no big fan of putting the binding on, myself, but I do love the feeling of being on the finishing straight. That's what keeps me going.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 AM
MTS
Banned

Here are Sharon Schamber's videos on doing binding.
Check out how a master quilter does it.
You don't have to incorporate every step she does, but at least it will give you some ideas.
I will say that my binding, which I thought was pretty good, improved tremendously once I started incorporating some of her methods.
Good luck.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 AM

I have nothing to offer in terms of the binding (I actually like that part), but I want to tell you that the pony in your avatar is stunning. I lean in close to my monitor for a better look every time I see one of your posts! :)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 AM

Are you having trouble knowing how much is needed? Or just not liking the whole process?

Here are a couple binding tutorials, one for bias and one for straight grain -

Straight Grain - http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

Bias - http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/p/tutorials.html
Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 AM

Maybe your dislike of binding is making it more difficult for you. I find it relaxing, but about 1/2 way through I get tired of it. I think it's because I am anxious to get the project done and start the next one. I wish I lived closer to you so I could help you!!
Sue
Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 AM

For me binding a quilt is an exciting time, as I can't wait to put that final stitch in it and call it done! I guess I had a good teacher, because I've never thought of it as not fun to do or difficult, so definitly watch some tutorials, and if that doesn't help you ask someone at your local quilt shop for further advice. Make yourself some placemats so you can get some practice. Hopefully it will soon become something you enjoy too!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 AM

I have never been good at bindings. However, I had a baby quilt to do, 5 mug rug gifts and then another smaller gift table topper. I watched quite a few tutorials on Youtube (many of which have already been listed) read tons of blog posts and did it. Doing the mug rugs helped alot because they are small and don't have a ton of bulk. It also helped that I did the mug rugs with a single rather than double binding.

Now I don't mind doing the binding quite as much. Also, I've begun doing the binding by machine and using washable glue. The glue has made a huge difference.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 AM

I don't mind binding, but sandwiching the quilt is another story! Doesn't matter now much I pin and pin and pin, by the time I start stitching in the ditch, everything shifts. I have much better luck sandwiching small projects like table runners or wall hangings.

Good luck with binding. The good news is that it's the last thing you do so you know you're almost done!