Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A couple newbie questions >
  • A couple newbie questions

• A couple newbie questions

Old 12-21-2010, 06:58 AM

1st) Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how to tie a quilt? I am doing a 9 patch I think tying would work great for this design. I also have learned to knit and have tons of yarn, is this ok to use?
    2nd)I read somewhere on here about folding edge of quilt instead of binding. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this?
    Thanks in advance(I know I will get awesome advice LOL)
    David
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 AM

Read thru this thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-84280-1.htm#2088179
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
    Banned

David: There is another post today about tying with yarn. Go there and read.
    As to the binding....it is just what one preferrs. Folding backing over to the front is an old, tried and true way.
    There is a tutorial somewhere about it.
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Either method of binding will work but a separate binding is stronger and will last longer. The strongest bias is made on the bias
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Ahhh I checked that thread but it didn't tell me the actual how to about tying. Is there a trick to passing tying material thru quilt? I know I know I should be able to figure it out but I am drawing a blank
    David
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM

It has been a while since I tied a quilt and never had any official instruction. I used yarn and embroidery floss. Neither was beautiful, but I guess it worked ok. I just threaded a needle and did a one stitch and tied on top. I did it at the corners of the blocks.
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 AM

I tie a number of quilts. I make some from jeans/Dockers material and they are a little thick for even machine quilting, so I tie. I like the poly yarn because of the way the ends fray. And for the jeans quilts a bright red provides a nice focal point. For the current quilt I am doing, I am using light blue crochet string because I didn't want the ties to be a focus. When you thread your needle ... probably it will need to be a big darning needle, even up the ends. Then there can be two strands of yarn to make the tie ... do not cut. Tie a square knot as they stay better. If at all possible, start the next tie before cutting the yarn. If you can do the ties, then come back and do all the cutting later ... it will save you motion and be a lot faster. Picking up/putting down the scissors wastes time. Having the yarn not cut each time also helps me keep track of which way to tie for the square knots.
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM

AWESOME! Thank you very much!
    David
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 AM

I did a quilt for my daughter 32 yrs ago. I tied with yarn and did it "envelope" style (no binding)........She still has it. It stood up better than the quilt I'd pieced, quilted and bound for my son. And hers was used a LOT more!
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
    bj

1)When I tie mine, I use embroidery floss, but I think yarn would work ok too, as long as it isn't a slippery yarn. I sew down from the top, back up through the bottom, maybe 1/8" away and tie a square knot (they don't slip out or come untied as easily). I've also heard of doing a surgeons' knot, but not tried it. Clip the ends to about 1" or a little shorter. I usually tie about every 4" at the corners where seams meet. If I've used larger pieces in a block than 4", I'll tie in the center of it. I just try to be consistent with knot placement. (Clear as mud?) I like tied quilts, I think they are fun.

2)If I do the binding where you fold from the back to the front, I make sure to leave enough on the back to double it before I fold it over. That way there are two layers of fabric on the edge and it is stronger. The binding gets the most wear and frays faster. It is not my favorite way to bind, but I have done it a couple of times.