Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I quilt enough? >

Did I quilt enough?

Did I quilt enough?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Did I quilt enough?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382147[/ATTACH]

Be kind. This is my first one. I know the result is a little bit dorky, but I like it. Had never machine quilted anything before and I don't know how to post pictures. I made a king sized quilt the first time which wasn't a good idea and didn't learn about battings and things like I should have first. My question is this. These are 10 inch blocks. I think I used the batting that is 2 to 4 inches to quilt. If there is SID around each block and FMQ around each applique is that enough quilting. If it isn't can you please give me some suggestions. I afraid to wash this. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails phone-pictures-142.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM

I love the coffee cups! I'm really new to quilting too so not sure if its enough, but wanted to tell you I really love it!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I only see the SID or echo quilting around the mugs. if you FMQ around them in each block, yes that should be enough. or you could do straight lines about one or two inches apart on either side of the block seams going each direction on the quilt.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM

What a darling quilt! Did you check your batting instructions? The packaging will tell you how many inches of open space you can have. I always tend to overquilt myself.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM

I am nowhere near the expert, but it looks to me like there are still some areas that need quilting. If there isn't enough, the batting may get pulled/shred....specially in the wash. You could do more of the echo quilting, or just a stipple in a shade of thread that won't show as much. I prefer more quilting, but not too much that it distracts the eye from the pattern of the quilt. And definitely not so much as to make the quilt stiff.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM

if that is dorky, I'm a huge dork. I love that. nativetexan had a good idea.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM

I only outlined the mugs with FMQ, no stippling and the 10 inch blocks have stitch in the ditch you can't see. Is that enough. So far I seem to have a few yeses and one no.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:50 AM

I would do some additional quilting in all the blocks, but that's me.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

How much time and effort did you put in to that beautiful top? I'm going to vote no. The "look" of the quilt is less important than the requirements of your batting. You said " I think I used the batting that is 2 to 4 inches to quilt." the batting package would say 2 or 4 not 2 to 4. If you don't have the package the batting came in, and/or don't know what you used (so you can look it up), you really want to err on the side of more quilting than less. If you don't have enough quilting for that type of batting it will shift. You don't even have to wash it for your quilt to be ruined. Just using it will cause the batting to bunch up. So if you really think the batting you used said 2", then your quilting should be no more than 2" apart in BOTH directions. You will need to do some cross hatching or meandering or something.
BTW, it would be kind of unusual for you to be using a type of batt that would require quilting that close. I would really look around and see if you can find the packaging or the reciept to tell you what kind you used.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

the quilt is darling. if your batting instructions say more is needed, you can do additional echo quilting around the center design.