Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Discouraged >
  • Discouraged

• Discouraged

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
    Kas

I am going to suggest you take a class either at your local quilt shop, Joann or similar store. There really is no substitute for someone giving you hands on instruction. You won't be sorry.
    Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...s/index.01.htm

I have used one pattern from this site. There are tons of every level in their gallery.
    What I liked about this site was it told me how much fabric to purchase of each color. I don't have a stash yet, so am purchasing new for each quilt.

I made the Bonnie Scotsman quilt twice now - it goes together well.
    Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 PM

The secret to learning the process is overcoming your fear of starting. Quit taking in the information for right now. Grab your fabric, ruler and rotary cutter, and make strips or squares. Sew them together in a way that appeals to you. You will be working from a pattern later. Why push it?

The main idea is to start. Don't give in to the frustration of too much information. A purchased quilt may be as warm as one you make, but you will never have the feeling of accomplishment that making a quilt will give.

Ask lots of questions. There is ALWAYS someone here to answer your questions.

We are cheering for you!!!!!!!!!
    Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Sometimes it's just intimidating to think about taking that first step, especially by yourself. Is there a quilt shop nearby? Maybe they offer beginner classes. If there's not a quilt shop, is there another fabric shop like a Hancock's or JoAnn's? Often they offer classes for quilters. If they don't, they might have names of people in the area who teach quilting.
    Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM

I found this on You tube...it looked really easy, great fun and the end result looked beautiful...would also have everyone thinking you were an amazing quilter...really suggest you have a look.
    its called 10 minute blocks 3 seam blocks for quicker quilts...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHl...eature=related

hope this sends you to the right place...thought I'd definatly give this a try for a present for a friend...Good luck
    Old 03-02-2011, 01:08 PM

My very favorite quilt is a simple 9 patch. Can't get a whole lot simpler then that. Please just keep moving on. You will be very surprised at how quickly you progress. Many many times a quilter will start a quilt and by time she finishes the blocks she will go back and remake the first block(s) because the last ones are so much better. Hang in there baby!!!
    Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Here is an easy one to try, just a block, but you put multiple blocks together to make a quilt top. Surf this site, it has so much to offer a beginning quilter.

http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...lt-pattern.htm
    Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Don't get discouraged..and don't get too caught up in the rules either. Sounds like something FreeForm may be just what you need. Grab your rotary cutter and trust yourself to cut. Then take a picture..I wanna see what you come up with. =) Have fun and no sweating of the small stuff allowed!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-164298.jpe  
    Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm working my way through Quilter's Academy Volume 1: Freshman year by Harriet Hargrave & Carrie Hargrave and there are some wonderful patterns using squares/rectangles. No funny angles/triangles until you get to the Sophomore and Junior years.

Quilter's Cache is a great site too for blocks if you want to build a sampler.

Cheers, K
    Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Oh please do not give up. I did three just plain blocks for my grandchildren for Christmas, then a tulip for my daughter-in-law.. my last one was a log cabin finished yesterday and that was so easy..and fun..and you can make several different designs out of making one block.

Here is the link to mine..or search log cabin and see all the other beautiful ways it can be done.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104211-1.htm