Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • An email from WalMart >
  • An email from WalMart

• An email from WalMart

Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM
    Dee

Must be a lot of people having parties. I don't see how in this economy of today.
    Old 07-31-2010, 06:49 PM

You can bet your last dollar that Mr. Sam is rolling in his grave. This new Wal-Mart is not at all what he intended his stores to be.
    Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM

AMEN to that...I for one am not a Walmart fan. They are trying to rule the retail world.
    Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM

Long Island, NY just lost another place to buy fabric. Walmarts have all gotten rid of their fabric depts. In fact, I was in Penna and they said there, the fabric depts will be reduced all over the country. This was last year.
    Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 AM

Walmart made a corp decision to get rid of their fabric dept..I sure the ones made the decision to close their fabric dept never sat in front of a sewing machine or don't share the wonderful memories some of us share with our moms sewing for us. I worked for Corp America for 15yrs. The stress was horrible causing me to have constant migraines headaches. I would stop by Walmart on my way home and had to buy a piece of fabric. The ladies in the fabric dept and I became very good friends. They would tell me when new fabric was coming. If my husband was with me I would whisper "I can't buy it right now" so they would cut it and hide it under they table until so I could come back later to buy it. When I was stressed sometimes I would go the fabric dept a night to just talk to some of the ladies. They were so nice to me. They watched my children grow up. I miss that now when I go there. They closed our fabric dept about 4yrs ago. Now I find myself going to Kroger and Target more now.
    Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 AM

I think they did not want to pay for a person to just cut fabric.
    Pre cuts are now at my Walmart and so far none of them are what I prefer. I did buy some fats.
    I dont understand the interest in scrapbooking. I have way to many albums that are cramed with pictures. Why would I waste space on the pages to add decorations? My whole bookcase would have nothing but albums of pictures that you only look at occasionaly.
    Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Didn't I see another thread about how WM was going to be putting fabric in all the new from the ground up stores? Why do we even discuss this anymore, folks have been moaning about the WM losing fabric for years, mine took out fabrics recently, I moved on and got over with it. I realize that not everyone has the options for fabric shopping that I do in my area, but I do feel that we have beat this one to death.
    Old 08-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Well...this is a piece of bull...Our store with the new remodel has about 15 spools of thread, 2 sizes of safety pins, no zippers, only cheap scissors and the craft junk that consists of beads...and about two dozen skeins of yarn..the end....so we can drive 10 miles one way to Hobby Lobby and get simplicy or mccall patterns or we can drive 30 miles to Jo Ann's and get a little more or 50 miles to Hancock Fabrics and buy a selection of sewing notions and fabric. Thanks alot Walmart for serving your customers.
    Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
    JS

Yes, we have talked about this subject many times in the past and recently. But, new people are always joining the board and some of our members are just now experiencing the loss of their fabric dept in their Wal-Mart stores. Lets not be so criticle regarding this subject. I am sure those who have already gone through this much earlier have as one member says "gotten over it" but this is an on going thing with our Wal-Mart stores and new info is being put out there to all of us constantly so I say go ahead and continue reporting your news regarding this subject for us all when you hear something. Those of us who feel it is time to "get over it" please just scroll on down or better yet when you see this subject ..just don't open this subject page. Sorry for all of you who are experiencing this problem with Wal_Mart as I know some of us have only had that store as a means to an end for fabric or it is all some of the board can afford to buy from. Stay safe quilting friends and please keep on asking any and all questions you might have regardless of the subject. That is part of the reason for our wonderful board and its wonderful members.
    Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

My Walmarts close to me closed the fabric dept a couple years ago and sorry...but I HAVEN'T gotten over it. It has cut into my fabric purchases big time, and I resent the he!! out of it. I'm sure alot of us feel that way and still need to vent.

It's not just availability of fabric (plenty of LQS in my area) but AFFORDABILITY for alot of us.