Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Confessional time ........
I have decided today, that I am a fabric Hoarder - and I am going to stop!!!! I will never in many lifetimes complete all the projects that I have hidden in totes, drawers, closets, attics, trunk of car. My goal for this fall and winter, is take all the fabric that I will never use (you know the kind, the stuff from yard sales, auctions, thrift stores,etc) and donate it. When I was first starting to hoard and quilt, I hunted down fabric - not project specific, just fabric, lots of it. Not the best quality, in colors that I do not like any longer. Even if I remove 50-100 yards of fabric, I still will not have enough years left to make the projects that are left. Seriously, am I the only one who realizes that "enough is enough'?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Yep! know how you feel and am trying to put a stop to myself too. LOL
Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM

I spent the past two weeks packing up an 82yo friend, recently widowed, for a move to her daughter's home, two states away. She doesn't collect fabric, but she has hundreds of pieces of bone china. I'm still dreaming about packing paper/boxes!!! I came away from it inspired to clean out my stuff, from extra kitchen stuff to extra fabric to garage junk. I was an Army wife for 25 years and I traveled light for most of that time. However, I've been "planted" here for 8 years and I am rapidly filling up a house and garage with "stuff." I'm with you--it's time for traveling light once again.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

The only problem I have found with having a big stash is that eventually it take up most of the quilt room, no matter how big that room is. Then there's no longer any possibility of finding the space to actually make something. The only solution is to get a bigger room and start the whole cycle again.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM

I can't believe how much fabric I have gathered over the 6 years I have been quilting. I do not want my fabric to end up in an estate sale at some point. I have decided to use what I have and I really like scrappy quilts, so that is my focus.
Having fabric in the garage and pantry is not a good thing. the garage has it in cupboards, carts and plastic drawers - way too much. The pantry has 4 bins full. Yes, I need to use it before adding to the stash. I have even decided to use piecing as a way of using it up for backing a quilt.

Last edited by Murphy1; 07-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM

I may be a hoarder (still in denial maybe) but I continue to collect when I find appealing fabric ..... but I am slowing down and being more selective. My goal is to use it all before that day comes when it will no longer make any difference.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Great post. I too am a hoarder. My aim is to donate/give away 1/10 of my fabric by the end of this year 2013. I am at present looking for good homes for it. I know that I will be happier when I do this. I think now before I buy.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I only buy fabric now to go with the fabric I already have. I am trying to finish up some UFO this year and do need to buy backing fabric. The up side of having a good stash is that I am knocking out a lot of charity quilts at little added cost.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM

I have stopped buying fabric...I have way too much! I was going to buy some today for a backing for my sons quilt. The hubby says why don't you just make another revisable quilt...great idea...and I will use my left over fabric from the front. I may beable to make the same thing...bought way to much. I don't think I have bought any since last Dec. Thankfully I have come to love scrappy quilts. So when I make a quilt, I then make a scrappy.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM

This so fits me...do you have trouble cutting a piece of fabric? I am always fearful I will wish I had saved it for later. I think I am ate up with goofy!