Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Favorite long arm machine >
  • Favorite long arm machine

• Favorite long arm machine

Old 07-28-2018, 06:06 AM

Test drive as many machines that you can. I have had 3 HandiQuilters and love those machines. Started with 16 - moved to Avante and last year traded up for the Fusion on a 12 foot frame. I hope to add the computer to the system - just trying to decide if I should do it now or wait until I upgrade again. Great machines. Good luck in your search and choice of a fantastic quilting machine.
    Old 07-28-2018, 07:29 AM

I am also the lucky owner of an Innova 18" with the 10' frame. I have had it for about 9 years and absolutely love it.
    I have had no issues with it since I purchased it. This week, I had some bobbin issues and my dealer walked me thru some things. But, I also made a call to Innova tech support on a Sunday and I received a call within 5 minutes! Their customer support along with my dealer (Ryan's sewing in Albuquerque) have made it a true joy to have this machine.
    It is built so you can do any additions you want and your imagination is the only restriction (adding lights, adding cameras, adding batting holders, etc.). And, when you want an "upgrade", it is available without having to replace the whole machine. This machine is a workhorse and I am not intimidated by it's workings at all. It does not require fancy maintenance or expensive trips to a dealer for maintenance. I tried out many before purchasing the Innova and it is by far the best machine I found. Good luck with your decision!
    Old 07-28-2018, 08:01 AM

Love my Gammill! I purchased it new in 2000 from Gammill's in West Plains, MO. Fourteen foot table, no robotics, no stitch regulator. Have had no tension troubles. Very good stitches. Easy to move the head around. Do my own maintenance on it. Great customer support. Have quilted over 1,000 customer quilts and still love this machine!!!
    Old 07-28-2018, 02:32 PM

My sister has had an Innova for several years and still loves it. (and I love her because she quilts my quilts! lol!)
    Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 PM

Does Innova have a sit down model? Opinions on sit downs. I don't have room for a big set up.
    Old 07-28-2018, 08:50 PM

Thank you so much again for all your comments. Lots of things to learn about when thinking of a longarm.
    Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 AM

Yes, Innova has a sit down model.
    Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Innova still has a lot of mechanical features so users can do many things on their own once trained.
    Pardon the resurrection of an old thread. FF, if you are still here, can you elaborate on that comment? How do you get trained on the maintenance? I'm looking for a machine and I'm very technical and mechanically capable, however not on sewing machines. With the least instruction I'd be able to DIY some maintenance and that ability sounds very attractive to me, particularly on these high dollar machines. Thanks, Scott

Old 07-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Well, Innova doesn't send you to a class or anything. They design and build their machines so that you, the owner, can perform your own maintenance and most repairs. There are lots of how-to videos on the website and YouTube, they have 24/7 service and will walk you through how to replace a check spring or whatever you need to do. Dealer support is excellent also, my dealer has been repairing longarms since he was 10 (he's now 65). The other half of my dealer support is a woman who owns several longarms, quilts professionally, and teaches.
    Old 07-19-2020, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by shorton
    Pardon the resurrection of an old thread. FF, if you are still here, can you elaborate on that comment? How do you get trained on the maintenance? I'm looking for a machine and I'm very technical and mechanically capable, however not on sewing machines. With the least instruction I'd be able to DIY some maintenance and that ability sounds very attractive to me, particularly on these high dollar machines. Thanks, Scott
    Scott--I have a Gammill,but am guessing most long arm machines companies do this too--Gammill has a variety of maintenance videos on their website. Also the Gammill FaceBook group has many that know how to trouble shoot and the company owners and dealers are also on the site answering questions. they have a new mentoring program also that links those that have been quilting for awhile with beginners. Also, at larger quilt shows you can often find long arm maintenance classes. And my owners manual does a good job of giving me info I need (although it's old and the pictures are blah!)