Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Quilting Frames - Information Needed >
  • Hand Quilting Frames - Information Needed

• Hand Quilting Frames - Information Needed

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Have you tried looking across Craig's list or freecycle?
    Old 03-26-2010, 12:00 PM

I have the floor model pvc pipe quilt. It comes apart and is light weight. with a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's I got it for less than 60 bucks. The clips make moving the quilt on it very simple. And it has the ability to be put at an angle if you want to. I prefer it flat myself. Anyway lightweight, sturdy, doesn't take up a huge amount of room and with the money you save your mom just think of what else she can get you lol.
    Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Hi Vanessa,

I have found that a few times a year, Hancock will put their Grace frames on sale, for somewhere around 175.00. I have a set, a friend was moving, didn't want to take them, so she gave them to me. I love them. They do a variety of sizes of quilts, and I can fold them down, and roll on my own. I say, if you find a good deal on these, they are worth it.
    Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
    It may not be exactly what you were looking for but I am probably going to buy this frame. I have bought the "roll" ones and they take up so much room even when they are folded down. You don't have to baste with this quilting frame.

http://www.ulmerquilter.com/
    This looks like a nice one, I have a big one, and sometimes wish it were smaller.
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM

I use a round lap hoop also. I've done numerous bed size quilts with that. I prefer because I can take it with me down to the living room to watch TV with my husband or with me to the cottage on the weekend.
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM

I like the round lap hoop. I can turn it and the quilt any direction I need to quilt in. I sit and watch TV with my husband with my quilt in my lap. I can also take it with me, I've taken small pieces to work and quilted on my lunch break. I also have two sizes, a smaller one for small pieces and borders. I've thought about getting a frame but was concerned about all the space it would take up.
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 PM

I've used an oval floor hoop and liked it, however I never found a good way to quilt the edges. I started exploring other frames and liked the looks of a Q-Snap but not the price because I know how inexpensive plastic pipe actually is. I found directions online to make my own from 3 10' lenghts of plastic pipe I bought at the lumber yard plus connectors and 24 plastic pipe clamps I purchased at a greenhouse supply store. I didn't glue it together so I can take it apart should I want to store it. The quilt still needs to be basted, but I don't mind doing that. I've quilted 1 1/2 twin-sized quilts and a throw on it so far and I couldn't be happier.
    Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
    It may not be exactly what you were looking for but I am probably going to buy this frame. I have bought the "roll" ones and they take up so much room even when they are folded down. You don't have to baste with this quilting frame.

http://www.ulmerquilter.com/
    oh my word I WANT THIS!!!! I snapped my hoop last night! my current project is my biggest yet...still a lap quilt but never tried hand quilting a lapper before. Thanks for the link!!!! Birthday, Christmas and anniversary are the end of the year.....nuts!!!!
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 AM

Vanessa I have quilted for 30 yrs.by hand. Useing a frame takes alot of practice. I do prefer them to hoops. I have 2 very expensive frames. In looking at your site and the advice of other quilter in answer to your questions I have come up with an opinion. Frames take up alot of room. I am impressed with the look of the ulmer frame it works similarrly to a hoop but has the mechanics of a frame. I think I would put my money there. What a cool gift and a cool mom. rosefrench
    Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 AM

Vanessa I have quilted for 30 yrs.by hand. Useing a frame takes alot of practice. I do prefer them to hoops. I have 2 very expensive frames. In looking at your site and the advice of other quilter in answer to your questions I have come up with an opinion. Frames take up alot of room. I am impressed with the look of the ulmer frame it works similarrly to a hoop but has the mechanics of a frame. I think I would put my money there. What a cool gift and a cool mom. rosefrench