Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • hand quilting on your lap >
  • hand quilting on your lap

• hand quilting on your lap

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    OK, I now see I'm in a room full of enablers!! ha ha.

I had bought this very large floor frame for hand quilting years ago, but since I've moved I've been quilting everything on my treadle sewing machines (which is a lot of fun, btw).
    Welcome to the board! I use a floor frame for quilting, but like everyone else said, it's up to you whether you use a frame, hoop or nothing at all.

I used a treadle for a long time. It's still my go-to machine when I need something done quickly, like a catnip pillow for my furry helper. I've tried some freemotion on it - talk about aerobic activity, LOL.
    Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM

No advice about the hand quilting but your Boo kitty has a great attitude--looks to be thinking--Don't touch my stuff.:)
    Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM

I have seen those really cute fancy thimbles, but I have never gone to a quilt show to get 'fitted'. I DID find, however, an open-sided thimble on Connecting Threads: http://www.connectingthreads.com/Ope...eThimbles.html I need to seriously try to 'train' myself to use it, too. AND, it's probably a lot cheaper than the fancy ones (although I like the fancy ones better!). This one is nice because it has a flat side just like using my nail. Now to just get used to the darn thing! Problem is also that I got into the habit of using my thumb to push the needle, too, when I change directions. I guess bad habits die hard!

I did order a Aunt Becky's Finger Protector from that Jean Brown website. My other problem is that I can't feel the tips of my left fingers because I catch the needle with them. I'm HOPING I can also train myself to use this gadget, too.

Still thinking about that darn lap hoop. Geez, I can really do some damage with all these great resources I'm finding here. lol
    Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I am handquilting an 18" pillow. Tried it with a hoop and it was very hard to work with. I am just pinning well and in only small areas at at time. This is working out well so far.
    Well, I was so relieved to read your answer. I would love to do handquilting, and tried, but could not stand to use a hoop. I was on another forum at the time and was told there that I must, repeat must, learn to use a hoop. Instead of learning I just gave up, but your answer gives me hope that it can be done. There's a big football game on tonight and DH likes me to join him in the family room while he's watching games (and I don't mind), so I would guess I'll be getting the handquilting out again!
    Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
    Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I am handquilting an 18" pillow. Tried it with a hoop and it was very hard to work with. I am just pinning well and in only small areas at at time. This is working out well so far.
    Well, I was so relieved to read your answer. I would love to do handquilting, and tried, but could not stand to use a hoop. I was on another forum at the time and was told there that I must, repeat must, learn to use a hoop. Instead of learning I just gave up, but your answer gives me hope that it can be done. There's a big football game on tonight and DH likes me to join him in the family room while he's watching games (and I don't mind), so I would guess I'll be getting the handquilting out again!
    Hopefully the 'quilting police' :roll: won't knock at your door, tonight, and ask you where your hoop is.... :mrgreen: Honestly, there are many ways to do anything and the "right way" for you is whichever way you like to do it. Have fun quilting, tonight!!
    Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
    These are the two I use to hand quilt.
    I use an oval hoop like Donna. Have been using it for 25 years now, do all my hand quilting this way. I hand quilt with quilts either basted or pinned, the larger quilts are basted which is my preference.
    Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM

I have used a hoop with hand quilting but found it cumbersome. So I do without a hoop and I work better. I have not had any problems and the end product has always been good for me. Recently I have turned to trying out machine quilting and that is much faster though I must admit, I have only quilted small quilts on my sewing machine.
    Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 AM

I hand quilt on my lap with out a hoop and it turns out fine. You just have to make sure that the quilt is basted really good. I just snuggle up on the couch with my project and away I go. Good luck & happy quilting!
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Say, I really like your helper!
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 AM

dn't hand quilt yet...but had to say no-one is gonna mess with that face! He is sooo cute!