Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a quilted shower curtain? >

has anyone made a quilted shower curtain?

has anyone made a quilted shower curtain?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM

i would appreciate some suggestions, i want to make a shower curtain for my guest bath in our vacation home. i want to piece it like a quilt- at least a portion of it. my questions are: A. should i line it? (I'm thinking yes) and B. should i quilt it?
i thought that i would use no batting, but line it with a solid and then maybe some very basic SITD just to keep it from billowing or poofing out.(i will have a plastic liner - this is mostly for decorative purposes) am i on the right track? i've made shower curtains before, but never pieced like a quilt-all those little seams to fray.ohh noo!
thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 PM

I found this the other day & have been thinking about making one for my shower. I don't know anything else about it though hehe

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/06/...tain.html#more
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM

A friend of mine used a vintage "cutter quilt" as a shower curtain. It's pulled back and tied at the side with the actual shower curtain hanging loose to pull across. It looked really neat. - Shabby Chic.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by skyle1968
I found this the other day & have been thinking about making one for my shower. I don't know anything else about it though hehe

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/06/...tain.html#more
That is very pretty!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM

I have a friend who made one and then used a store bought liner for it. She just had the one layer or "quilt to" with a hem around the edge and then the store bought liner behind it.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM

I would think your way would work well. Just line it and then sitd and use a plastic liner.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:03 PM

I made one for our shower and it works fine. What I did was piece the entire curtain like I would a quilt, then I got some light weight white satin-type fabric for a backing to protect and hide all those little seams. I did not put anything between the two layers, and only stitched them together along the top and both sides, hemming the bottoms of the two layers separately so they hang nicely. It was not "quilted". There is a plastic curtain on the tub side to keep water off the "quilt". I made machine-stitched button holes for the curtain hooks to go in.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:05 PM

I would think it best to put a backing on it and then quilt through them both to hold together. Then have the vinyl liner separate.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM

I made one and used a extra heavy store bought vinyl liner. Works well
Old 06-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom
i would appreciate some suggestions, i want to make a shower curtain for my guest bath in our vacation home. i want to piece it like a quilt- at least a portion of it. my questions are: A. should i line it? (I'm thinking yes) and B. should i quilt it?
i thought that i would use no batting, but line it with a solid and then maybe some very basic SITD just to keep it from billowing or poofing out.(i will have a plastic liner - this is mostly for decorative purposes) am i on the right track? i've made shower curtains before, but never pieced like a quilt-all those little seams to fray.ohh noo!
thanks for your input.
Sounds like you're on the right track to me. You want to put a backing on the pieced part so you don't see all the seams. I agree. I wouldn't even think you need to SITD or if you did just a little. It'll look professional that way.