Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello everyone! >
  • Hello everyone!

• Hello everyone!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
    Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com
    Or try Amazon.com, I've found a ton of great books on there at a bargain price. I find a book I want & then check Amazon to see if they have a better price. I've bought many and have never been burned.
    Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 AM

Welcome! from southern IL.
    Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by quickshelia
    Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined!

I'm very interested in quilting, although I have no idea where to begin! I know nothing about quilting or where to start!

It would be great if someone could give me some ideas about how to start making a quilt, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!
    -Sheila
    Hi Shelia, Welcome from your neighbor in Mass. If I can help, let me know. We can't be too far from each other. :-)
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Welcome from Arkansas. The Rail Fence is a very simple pattern that makes a lovely quilt. And, it really doesn't require a pattern. For a lap size quilt I'd get at least a yard of three coordinating fabrics. (look good together) Cut them in 2 1/2 inch strips. Then sew one of each of them together . Then cut them in 6 inch blocks. Place one with ends up, the next one with ends side by side, the next one up and so on until you get it as wide as you want your quilt. Continue doing this until you have the size you want.This will be your top. Then you will take a piece of fabric the same size or a little larger and lay it facedown. Place a piece of batting on top of that and then put your top on top faceup and pin the three layers together with safety pins. Then it is ready to quilt. Come back for more lessons or PM me if you need advice. Thanks
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
    Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com
    Very True I have the same one! and with the tutorials on this blog, everything is so much easier!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-170048.png  
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 AM

Hello and welcome from Michigan!!!
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    Is there a quilt shop near you? I agree a beginners class would be a great help, and I bet if you can make it to a nearby quilt shop the ladies would love to get you set up with a pattern that would be good to start with and they will help you choose fabric too. Sites like this are great for asking questions, but sometimes it helps to have someone live in person who can get you headed in the right direction to start.

You could also visit your local craft store or library and see if they have Fons and Porters Complete Guide to Quilting. This was one of my first books on quilting and they explain everything from the 1/4" seam, how to press, how to purchase fabric, what needles to use in addition to showing you lots of techniques. There are a ton of beginning quilting books out there but this one was my favorite.
    I just purchased a couple of magazines complete with DVD from Fons and Porters website that tells you everything you need to know from beginning to end on how to make your first quilt. Very inexpensive and well worth the money.
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Welcome from one of the guys on the forum. Quilting is easy. Buy some fabric, cut it into little tiny pieces and then sew them back together again. Easy.
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 AM

WELCOME FROM Oklahoma, we love to help newbies here.
    Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Hello!!! This site is great for tutorials and the people are wonderful. All you have to do is ask if you need anything. :)