Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How I organize patterns in magazines >
  • How I organize patterns in magazines

• How I organize patterns in magazines

Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
    Like many of you I have a lot of quilting/sewing magazines.

If a particular issue only has one or two patterns I want to save, I cut them out, file them in a portable pendaflex file box and toss out the magazine.

Frequently though, there are several patterns is one issue, so I want to keep the entire magazine. I dislike having to search through dozens of magazines for that one pattern so this is what I do.

I bought two small Rolodex file boxes. When I find a pattern I like, I write on the top of the card what the pattern is (watercolor quilt, bargello quilt, log cabin quilt, etc.), and a brief description. Then on the bottom I record what magazine it is in, the date of issue, and the page number. This makes it very easy to find the pattern I want to make.

I have all my magazines stored in magazine files and have them in a bookcase.
    Ps can you post your profile quilt so we can see it is gorgeous !!
    Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 AM

I will save a copy of the online ones to my documents and then when I get alot of them saved I transfer them to a thumb drive.
    I have alot in binders also and thought of how many I would end up with. Now I print up the one I am going to use and when done (if I haven't written all over it) I file it away in the binder.
    I do like her magazine system though.
    Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Originally Posted by montanaquilter
    what an awesome idea!! i like the idea of the filing system, i'm going to do that this weekend!! thanks a bunch for the idea
    When you are done, wanna come over and do mine? I'll make the fru-fru drinks and hubby will bbq :)
    i would LOVE to Terri!!!! Love fru fru drinks and bbq!! what a wonderful vacation that would be!!
    Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Lockeb, I also use the three ring binders with plastic sleeves. My binders vary in size according to my interests. Since I am creating my own reference books on subjects, I tend to save articles on a subject -- rather than -- just patterns. I have some categories by subject (Amish, paper-piecing, leaves,etc.) and others by designer (Eleanor Burns, Judy Martin, Helen Thorne, Terry Atkinson,etc.) plus the brownish/red paper heavy duty expanding file envelopes to insert books by the designer.

Lately, I've been playing with arcs and curves and have purchased some templates. I've placed the book, misc. articles and specialty templates in $1.00 plastic expandable file holders from Target. I can grab a folder and take everything to my desk to start playing with the designs.
    Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 AM

I will sign up.

I have every Quiltmaker and QuiltersNewsletter since 1984, not counting all the other magazines. They are all in nice Magazine boxes in order and I do love going through them, but it would be nice to have it referenced so I could get it quick. Right now I have little yellow post its or I go through until I find something.
    WOW!
    Do you make housecalls?
    Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
    Originally Posted by JanetM
    Like many of you I have a lot of quilting/sewing magazines.

If a particular issue only has one or two patterns I want to save, I cut them out, file them in a portable pendaflex file box and toss out the magazine.

Frequently though, there are several patterns is one issue, so I want to keep the entire magazine. I dislike having to search through dozens of magazines for that one pattern so this is what I do.

I bought two small Rolodex file boxes. When I find a pattern I like, I write on the top of the card what the pattern is (watercolor quilt, bargello quilt, log cabin quilt, etc.), and a brief description. Then on the bottom I record what magazine it is in, the date of issue, and the page number. This makes it very easy to find the pattern I want to make.

I have all my magazines stored in magazine files and have them in a bookcase.
    Ps can you post your profile quilt so we can see it is gorgeous !!
    You mean my avatar? Sure. The pictures were taken at my sister's house before I did the binding. This quilt was given to our Mom for Christmas. It was professionally quilted.

Machine appliqued
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]33356[/ATTACH]

Detail
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]33357[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-33356.jpe   attachment-33357.jpe  
    Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM
    Banned

We're supposed to organize patterns??? Who knew? ;)

Janet, LOVELY quilt!!!
    Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 PM

WOW!
    Do you make housecalls?
    I should huh? I am a real organizer and get teased about it all the time. I have a BA in Psychology so I know what psychologists would say about me :). My father says "it's the German in you"

I have absolutely no patience when it comes to trying to find something so I try to keep things in their place.

I also keep track of articles on different techniques that appear in magazines or even my books. If I don't do something for a period of time I need a refresher so I can find the directions easily by having it referenced in my Rolodex files.
    Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

Great idea, the I had forgotten how handy a Rolodex can be. This should help me in my endeavour to "unclutter" this year.

Beautiful quilt, outstanding colours and design...talented and organised!
    Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I bought those little post it flags in different colors. I can write on them with a fine sharpie and stick it to the page in the magazine. I tried to color code (blue for applique, red for how to's, yellow for 'I want to make this one', etc) It cuts down on some of the searching but I wish there was a better way.