Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I don't know what I don't know >
  • I don't know what I don't know

• I don't know what I don't know

Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

You definitely are not alone not understanding the sizes of needles/weights of threads. I haven't taught classes in many years (too busy working full time now) but I always spent a lot of time in my machine quilting and applique classes going over needle and thread information. Sometimes I felt like it was too much information, but I felt it was very important. The information at Superior threads is very helpful! Glad you figured out the problem!
    Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 AM

thank you thank you ladies great info on this board I would be lost without it
    Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 AM

I have only been quilting a couple of years and was working part time so did not get to quilt that much. Now that I have finally retired again (I retired once before from full time and then went to part time work) I am doing more quilting and more researching how to's. I have mostly 50 wt. cotton bought from Connecting Threads but recently have been trying polyester. I have been reading all the info from Superior Threads and they do such a good job of educating that I plan to buy most of my thread from them in the future. I use a 90/14 needle for both 50 and 40 wt and I have a Bernina. Seems to work. I do use the little white teflon ring in my bobbin case and that seems to make the bobbin thread move very well whether I am piecing or FMQ. I have lately used 70 wt poly for quilting/FMQ a tote bag and it worked very well. I think we are learning all the time and have to keep trying different things to see what works for us and our machine.
    Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 AM

I didn't know. I'm self taught, and therefore make a LOT of "boo-boos" along the way! The important thing is to learn a little from each one. Thank you for saving me from this particular one!!
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 AM
    Power Poster

I feel your pain! Thanks for the info and thanks to QuiltnNan for additional info
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks for sharing. I've learned something this morning.
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you sew much for the question and thank you all for the information. My eyesight is not what I would like so sometimes have trouble threading my needle. One day I just couldn't seem to get the thread through that little hole, so my husband tried and he couldn't do it. Finally he said use another needle, that did the trick. Sorry to say that I never paid that much attention to the size. Just used a unversial needle and away I would go. Now I am better informed and will pay more attention. Thanks again. The older I get the more I realize what I don't know. BrendaK
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 AM

I think I need a chart too, think I will head back over to Superior threads and see if I can find one to print off. This is way too much info to keep in my teeny tiny brain
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=BrendaK;5717420] My eyesight is not what I would like so sometimes have trouble threading my needle. One day I just couldn't seem to get the thread through that little hole, so my husband tried and he couldn't do it.

I find that holding a small piece of white paper behind the needle seems to make it easier to see and thread, a tip I read about somewhere, sometime...too long ago to remember

Viv
    Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    the lower the thread number the thicker the thread... thus a larger-eyed needle is needed
    a lighter weight thread would be a 60 wt....40 wt is a thicker thread....