Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • On line class and more >
  • On line class and more

• On line class and more

Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 PM

Default On line class and more

I know Some Craftsy classes are greater than others and you should wait for sales for the best price, but other resources are available, other than utube, and reviews posted here of where and what might possibly be more "unfiltered." So what on line class did you take, what cd ,dvd or indespensible book did you buy and has anyone taken a class from Academy of Quilting or elsewhere that was worth every penny? Will you share what you took and would you recommend others to repeat your purchase... or not?
    Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 PM

To me I have only done the craftsy classes online, and one annie class on embroidery that I ended up getting the dvd because the streaming quality was poor. I have loved all my classes from craftsy and it takes me a while to get to things so I like that you don't have them only for a certain time. I just adore patsy thompson class, and even took one in person as well. I have only had 2 in person classes on FMQ,and found that patsy thompson really did the trick for me, and craftsy has helped me better my skills. I will probably keep getting craftsy classes until I run out of classes to watch. I also love the ann petersen classes, as well as the class by Christy.
    Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 AM

not really a class but for $24 a year you can join QNN and they have LOTS of full length videos, some new some old, I love it.
    Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 AM
    Power Poster

I belong to most of the subscription online quilt sites. They are about the same cost as a magazine subscription. I like something about them all and don't have a favorite one. I want a refresher on how to sew a block, want a new technique, or want to be motivated, I can find it at one of them. I like keeping up with what is new in the quilting world. It's the only news I know will always be good.
    Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 AM

I am more a visual learner...and being fairly new to sewing plus being a guy, even when I take a class I am intimidated by the mountain of sewing someone other than myself can compress in mere minutes and to keep a class moving some of "us" less gifted at machine sewing, can sometimes get lost in the dust. I intellectually know that a class should be constructed to accommodate everyone, but at a local quilt shop these classes are frequently attended by several "regulars" and if it is a well respected "winning" guest instructor, it can become a feeding frenzy. You possibly get what I mean and no offense to those of you who patiently wait your turn. So what I find myself doing is just watching others, seeing what tips and tricks others expose, gather as much information on my Ipad as possible and go home and try to apply what I have seen and heard.

I guess my real question is where do you go/buy/rent to actually see techniques when it is not a class where you take your machine and sew. I will check out QNN but I would love to hear more and by your posting here... help others as well
    Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 AM

there are many, many online classes available! If, for instance, you want to learn how to make a Half Square triangle, how to sew on binding and a million other things, just google that! You will get tons of either videos or downloadable .pdf files, etc. I've never attneded a class, but sure have learned a lot at my own pace and be able to go back and play it again!
    Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by Basketman
    I am more a visual learner...and being fairly new to sewing plus being a guy, even when I take a class I am intimidated by the mountain of sewing someone other than myself can compress in mere minutes and to keep a class moving some of "us" less gifted at machine sewing, can sometimes get lost in the dust. I intellectually know that a class should be constructed to accommodate everyone, but at a local quilt shop these classes are frequently attended by several "regulars" and if it is a well respected "winning" guest instructor, it can become a feeding frenzy. You possibly get what I mean and no offense to those of you who patiently wait your turn. So what I find myself doing is just watching others, seeing what tips and tricks others expose, gather as much information on my Ipad as possible and go home and try to apply what I have seen and heard.

I guess my real question is where do you go/buy/rent to actually see techniques when it is not a class where you take your machine and sew. I will check out QNN but I would love to hear more and by your posting here... help others as well
    Old 01-20-2015, 05:55 PM

The one plus I like about the Craftsy classes is that you can print out all the class material. It makes a real difference for me to be able to read along with the verbal instructions and have the information after the "class" is done.
    Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
    The one plus I like about the Craftsy classes is that you can print out all the class material. It makes a real difference for me to be able to read along with the verbal instructions and have the information after the "class" is done.
    You can also watch it as many times as you want, it is always there for you to refer to!