Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on making a string quilt. >

Questions on making a string quilt.

Questions on making a string quilt.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Smile Questions on making a string quilt.

I,m making my first string quilt and must say I love doing this.
I do have a couple of questions though.
1. I,m making them on muslin foundation. Should I have washed the muslin first? ( I didn't).
2. With the muslin foundation, is there a certain loft batting to be used?
Do you put sashing in between blocks or use them as is?
Your expert opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM

I don't wash muslin, in fact don't pre-wash anything, just use Color Catchers in wash. I try to use a low loft batting. Sashing?..depends. I have done it both ways. Putting sashing in is easier for my when I do the quilting on my long arm.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM

I would have washed the muslin first but I'm a pre-washer and I don't like my fabric to shrink. As for sashing--it's all up to you. Would it look better with or without it? Trying to make the quilt bigger? Using one color sashing as a way to tie all the scraps together? I would put my blocks up on the wall or lay them out on the floor and let them "talk" to me.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

as for washing the muslin---those who believe in pre-washing everything will tell you (YES---SHOULD HAVE) Those i who don't bother pre-washing anything will tell you---no need-
i have done both- and to tell the truth- when using the muslin for a foundation i have never had any ill effects from the foundation not being pre-washed- so--- i really don't think it matters.
i have a friend who maked 3 or 4 string quilts (large queens/kings) every year- she brings them to me to quilt for her---and they are HEAVY! she generally sends an inexpensive poly batt from joannes (like fairfield-or mountain mist) that is fairly thin & lightweight-
for my foundation pieced quilts i tend to use a dream batt of some sort-i used Dream Green in the last one.
cotton batts are heavier than poly batts so they will add more weight to an already quite heavy quilt---if you want a really heavy- warm- durable winter quilt a string quilt with warm & natural & a flannel back would be amazing.
i have used just a layer of flannel instead of batting in a couple string quilts too---its' totally up to you- anything is ok, just remember that it will be heavy
as for your sashing...that too is a personal choice- sometimes the blocks are put together with no sashings- sometimes they are put together into (4-squares) with those surrounded with sashings; sometimes they are put together with a particular pattern/number of blocks making up a center, then bordered, then surrounded by more string blocks---there are lots of design layouts---after you get a dozen or so blocks made start laying them out- playing with them- turning them this way & that--sometimes with strips between- other times without---playing with the layout is where the true fun comes in- you could put 4 together- add setting triangles to make the new block on point---you can make them into stars...oh--now you've made me want to go start a new string quilt!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

You should go here http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums16956.html and check out what others have done. You will see that there probably isn't a "best way" but they all turn out wonderfully!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

I would prewash the musling beause we don't know how it will shrink. This, however might be an issue since the piecing of strings is sometimes close together and finished blocks might be suared up.
As to sashing. That is a personal choice. However, suggest you use a foundation fabric along with the sashing to make that area the same weight as the blocks.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM

I have made three different styles of string quilts, made on fabric foundations of old worn bed sheets or cottons not of quality to be on the top. All foundation fabrics were per washed, my scraps are generally per washed-but the scraps gifted to me --maybe not. 2 of the 3 are king sized and heavy/warm. The third is a queen with poly batting - hubby likes the lighter one, and it is plenty warm. I am in the process of my first CRUMB quilt....... Lovin it- another keeper. I am really into the unplanned and color splashes, not ready for a planned pattern. My advise? PLAY!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Whatever is A Crumb quilt?? that is a new one for me...
Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 AM

I don't pre-wash my quilting cottons, however, when I've used muslin I've always pre-washed it. The shrinkage is quite noticeable and I don't want my quilt blocks to become distorted.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM

I usually prewash my fabric, in cluding muslin, but when I do string blocks I use whatever I have on hand. It could be an old sheet...old muslin, you just never know. If its unclaimed for another project, stained or just something someone gave me to give away, I just 'string' it up! Batting is entirely a personal choice.You can even use fleece if you like. Depends on how heavy you want and your budget. Try googling string blocks and then click on 'images' (it will be along the top ..mine says 'You+ Search Images ...." You get more pictures than you ever thought were out there.