Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SCRAP FABRIC >

SCRAP FABRIC

SCRAP FABRIC

Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM

I am not sure on how to make scrap quilt. I have lots of left over scraps but, do I have to match color or just simply piece them together and make the quilt similar to the "coat of many colors"? Thanks for your help. I am posting three of my grandchildren's quilts for all to see. Will add more in a few minutes. I hope you like them.

JOY

ANNA'S QUILT
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62823[/ATTACH]

ARIEL'S QUILT
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62824[/ATTACH]

BEN'S QUILT
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62825[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62818.jpe   attachment-62819.jpe   attachment-62820.jpe  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

You can make a scrap quilt any way you would like it to be. Part of the charm. I am saving pieces from my quilts (vs just sewing) to make a scrap memory quilt. I also use scraps for other projects i.e. cards, pot holders, etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM

What did you use for batting?
What sort of thread did you use for tying?
And, if you go to the top of this page, look at the site places and find "Search" ... click on that and page will come up with a box, click in the box and then type in: Scrap quilts
it will search this site for all the threads that involved scrap quilts ... but just for a sample, I will post one of my most recent ones ...
and, then, my dear, I must tell you about "Quiltville.com" <g>

HST in a friendship star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62861[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62856.jpe  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Now! About Quiltville.com

http://quiltville.com/

I would like to introduce you to Bonnie Hunter ...
she will help you organize your scraps, and then she will show you MANY patterns in which to use them ...
her free patterns are very well-written and have many good pictures.
I also highly recommend her books!
Have fun <wave>
if you are very new to the internet - - if you click your mouse on those blue underlined letters above, a new window will open up and take you to Quiltville.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Thank you so much for your nice answer. I washed and recycled old blankets, mattress cover sheets or even old bedspreads for the center of the quilts. I used yarn for the tied knots along front of the quilts and I used polyester thread to sew the quilts. I could not afford buying the actual matting for all of the quilts I made for family Christmas gifts. Hopefully they will last a long time. Thank you for telling me how to search for scrap quilts. Although I am in my late 50's, I am still a beginner and learning. I really do enjoy sewing and learning. Any advice is welcome from everyone.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Thank you! I forgot about the pot holders and other projects. I will try that too!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by butterjoy
Thank you so much for your nice answer. I washed and recycled old blankets, mattress cover sheets or even old bedspreads for the center of the quilts. I used yarn for the tied knots along front of the quilts and I used polyester thread to sew the quilts. I could not afford buying the actual matting for all of the quilts I made for family Christmas gifts. Hopefully they will last a long time. Thank you for telling me how to search for scrap quilts. Although I am in my late 50's, I am still a beginner and learning. I really do enjoy sewing and learning. Any advice is welcome from everyone.
I look forward to knowing your response to Quiltville and your other search finds.
My mom purchased some quilts as gifts from a Ladies' Missionary Society and gave each of us one. Some of the fabric was not so new and in time, any discrepancies of the seams, etc began to show. I just haven't had the heart to get rid of it, so I make turned patches and zigzag them over the the top of the places where the fabric has torn or even disappeared ... I havent tried using the blankets or mattress pads as batting in quilts, but I have gathered a number of aforementioned products for just that purpose.
I have also found flannel sheets are garage sales to use as batting ... even with my quilting frame/machine it has not been a problem to quilt.
Stick with us, kid - - you will be scrapping and FMQ-ing with us in NO TIME! <wave>;)
Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Power Poster

Great advice omak :D:D:D
I can't wait to see your scrappy quilts, your other quilts are very beautiful :D:D:D
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

I don't think theres a rule to scrap quilting. I call it HAVING FUN.....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I don't think theres a rule to scrap quilting. I call it HAVING FUN.....
Nope! You are correct ... no "rules" per se ... There are people who subscribe to cutting pieces all the same size and shape, throw them into a bag, draw out one piece at a time and put them together ... other options are to take whatever piece/whatever color you grab from a paper bag and sew a straight line to connect the two together, trim to a certain size ... viola! Crazy quilt of sorts! Bevanger has a tutorial for that, if I remember correctly ...
and, then, there are scrap quilters who pick a block pattern, and put colors together that compliment or contrast with each other, and when they have a bunch, they put them together ...
I think scrap quilting a very accomodating to doing what you want in whatever manner you choose!
A new friend of mine is a 90 year old woman who was tired of reading all of the time and wanted to get back into quilting.
I figured I was going to have to grow up and actually follow a pattern after I saw some of the quilts she had made years before.
The only kits I had available were scrap quilts ... basic pattern, all the pieces cut, put them together the best way you can ... she didn't like it ... she liked knowing how many yards of what she was working with. She likes knowing what color goes next to what other color ... in other words, she likes MAPS!
After the second scrap quilt, she greeted me at the door with: I am soooo loving this scrap quilting! Forget that orderly stuff! I want to make MORE! Scrap quilts all the way!:D