Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with yours? >
  • What do you do with yours?

• What do you do with yours?

Old 08-29-2017, 04:27 AM

Thread costs too much money to waste. I chain piece whenever possible. I clear partially filled bobbins when I piece. I try to keep my bobbins clear. Sometimes, I fill several bobbins at a time when I FMQ so I don't have to stop to rewind and retrhread so often.
    Old 08-29-2017, 04:33 AM
    Power Poster

A small amount? I toss it.
    I'm really into minimizing these days. I don't want my 3 sons having a houseful of stuff to go through someday!
    Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 AM

I will never ever use that small amount - in the trash it goes.
    Old 08-29-2017, 05:13 AM

I rewind the thread to a bobbin to fit my sewing machine and use it to sew on the binding. I, also, topstitch the binding down with my sewing machine, so I get two rounds out of it. When I found I was running out of bobbins, I went to Ebay and ordered a box of 100 L bobbins for about $30. This has helped a lot. Sometimes I use the bobbins for piecing. I don't throw away thread unless it is a very small amount.
    Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by anne2016
    I am amazed at the amount of thread that is wasted when quilting. I used to save it all but it was around for so long that some of it was rotted. Now, I just throw out those small amounts. Shameful waste but I am trying to downsize and not hoard. My parents and grandparents were pack rats and they needed to be. Every scrap of every thing was precious. I used to save a lot of things but no more. As I age I keep thinking that, after I'm gone, my children shouldn't have to wade through so much 'stuff' so I am becoming a minimalist in every aspect of my life....I buy less, I keep less. Just last week I once again sorted through my closets and sent 2 bags to Goodwill.
    Hi Anne, I am trying to be the same throwing things away of donating and am having great difficulty minimalizing. Retiring next year is making me think, but I hate waste too. I realized a few years back that my penchant for saving even the 6 inch length of embroidery floss was due to my grandmother and her embroidery can. She ALWAYS saved that little bit. I appreciate your comments. Now, on to the closet!
    Old 08-29-2017, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    I have numerous bobbins, so if I stop and change to a full one I just put the partial in my bobbin holder and use it up piecing later. Generally when piecing the color doesn't matter- isn't going to show. I don't waste much thread. I might use 10+ different colors/ threads piecing a quilt top because I'm just using up partial bobbins.
    This what I do also. And, also for mending clothing etc. There is always a button to sew on, or a seam to mend, or a hem coming loose. I also use it for EPP. Waste not want not!

Last edited by humbird; 08-29-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    Old 08-29-2017, 05:39 AM

My sister makes her own paper for the books she creates. So I put every little thread I cut off into a bag for her use. My Babylock machine tells me when the bobbin is running out, and get more use even after the beeping starts up till the very end then insert another full bobbin. If I am using one of my Brother machines, lucky for her she gets some longer pieces of thread.
    Old 08-29-2017, 05:42 AM
    Power Poster

I toss it. I haven't got the need to feel guilty about tossing a little thread in the trash.
    Old 08-29-2017, 05:58 AM

I use it for piecing till its out. I hate throwing out good thread too.
    Old 08-29-2017, 06:16 AM

I will use it to do the binding on the back. Then if some is still left, I use it in scrappy quilts. I have found that when using a multitude of fabric colors a multitude of thread colors really doesn't matter. Truly scrappy.