Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When to fix, vs when to leave as is. >
  • When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

• When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:52 AM

I really wouldn't worry about it! Done is better than trying for perfection and not achieving it!
    Old 10-15-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I don't know that I agree with "Finished is better than perfect", either. We hear it quoted all the time, but... really? Slap a binding on a mess, just so it's finished? Nah.... Why start a quilt if you aren't going to do the best job you can do?
    Yes, I think it is better to be truthful. There was a picture on this site of a beautiful quilt. But one block was upside down. The colors were high contrast, so it was VERY visible. You wouldn't believe the number of members that said "Leave it." This one you could actually see from the back of a galloping horse. So let's be truthful. How will you feel about that quilt when you see it ten years from now. Will you wish you had fixed it when you had the chance?
    Old 10-15-2016, 08:00 AM

If it bugs me I will fix it. Once it bugs me I will see it every time I look at the quilt.
    Old 10-15-2016, 10:52 AM

It has to be waaaay off before I fix anything. I'm just making quilts for the love of fabrics, not to put the pressure on myself to make things perfect. If it bothers you, fix it!
    Old 10-15-2016, 11:20 AM

My motto is: If you stand 6-feet back from the quilt and can't see the mistake, it's perfect!
    Old 10-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Whatever you decide, you have to be proud of it, or proud of the effort you put in to make it the best you can do. If by "cheap fabric" you means it's thin or of lesser quality than others you've worked with, perhaps it was distorted by cutting and handling it.

Have you tried putting a dab of Elmer's glue in the center where the seams come together? That helps hold the points (wait for it to dry while you glue others or do other things). I was much happier with my piecing after I learned that trick.

Once I see a mistake and it bugs me, it ALWAYS bugs me. I don't care if it's staying at home, going to charity, or will be a gift. I have to fix it till it pleases me.

And, as for the galloping horse saying, I don't care about the opinion of a rider on a galloping horse. That's silly. I care about how it looks the way most people see it--on their lap or across the room.

Last edited by zozee; 10-15-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 PM
    Power Poster

A lot depends on how the piece will be quilted and how high the contrast is between the blocks. Low contrast with busy quilting will often hide mismatched points after the wash. That said, I generally take out and redo what bugs me.