Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you mend my ****** >
  • Would you mend my ******

• Would you mend my ******

Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by marymild
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    YES!! I'm adding gussets to the waistline of school uniforms for a little Downs S boy. (Don't mind, but why me?!)
    Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    How about "sure. be glad too. I charge$5.00 an inch." or "I'm really sorry, but I am booked so far out, you will outgrow it before I could get it done,."
    Good one Gwen LOL!!
    Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 AM

My son and nephew have me mending their pants all the time. I would not have it anyother way My son works in Arizona and comes home for a weekend every 8 weeks always with jeans he has ripped on the job. Today is my birthday and I will doing some tonight. I feel a little of me is going back with him in the morning.
    Old 08-22-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Zaz
    My son and nephew have me mending their pants all the time. I would not have it anyother way My son works in Arizona and comes home for a weekend every 8 weeks always with jeans he has ripped on the job. Today is my birthday and I will doing some tonight. I feel a little of me is going back with him in the morning.
    Well, Happy Birthday to You!! Today is also my 70th birthday! And I'll be working on the unforms for the little boy.
    Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM

I was in Walmart buying fabric yesterday and a young girl came over and said I noticed you buying material and want to know if you sew ? I told her I'm a quilter not a sewer, Lol...My older sister was the sewer not a quilter...
    Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM

One can always suggest they contact their cleaners, who usually offer these services....but there is not one I recommend. Tailoring services are in phone book too. That way I am not just saying "no" to them, but offering some help.
    Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Have been reading through this thread--really strikes a chord. I sewed before I quilted and with 3 boys I have patched a lot of jeans in my day. They still ask me to "fix" things, even though they're in their 20s and 30s. Other than my boys and a handful of sewing friends, most women I know or work with are clueless about home mending--don't think they are even aware of the concept.

There is a fascinating book (actually a Rutgers University PhD history department dissertation) by Sarah Gordon on women and sewing entitled "Sew It Yourself--Home Sewing, Gender, & Culture 1890-1930. Embedded in the online.pdf are oral interviews with a number of women sewers who recall their own sewing experiences in their youth or their mother's or grandmother's. You can find it here:
    http://www.gutenberg-e.org/gordon/acknowledge.html

At 5 chapters it's on the long side, but I think many of the responders to MaryMild's thread would enjoy it.

I, too, would love to know the quilt pattern in your avatar! Enjoy what's left of this Sunday afternoon.
    Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 PM

My email signature says it all "Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage." Amen!
    Old 08-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
    Love that Suzan! I have to hem my daughter's school uniform skirt and I'm sweating just thinking about it! I'd rather do paper piecing and Y seams. Blindfolded! Okay you chickens, send me hemming vibes. I need you!
    my dh purchased some trousers for work.. he had an out of town meeting & got them @ 830 pm and had a 6am flight..

can anyone say stitch witch... great for an emergency fix... when it started to fail & the hem fell out, i gave him his very own package..told him figure it out or take them back to the men's wear store...

i will sew on a button though!
    Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

I have a dear friend with a little business doing repairs, alterations and personal sewing. I refer them to Jenny and SewWhat