Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you mend my ******

And putting in new zippers!

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    My daughter in law asked me to put a new zipper in one of her suits. Yeah right.

I'll do most of it, but I refuse to replace zippers. I tell 'em it would be cheaper for them to get new pants (or jacket or whatever).

I'm having a hard time convincing DD that I really don't want to make any more Faire garb for her, not even "a dress just like the purple and gold one you made that doesn't fit anymore so I gave it to ----". She did finally realize that I don't have the pattern anymore and it is not available on either Simplicity or McCall's website either, so I'd have to remake a pattern, which I'm fully capable of doiong, just don't have the time right now.

I just put a zipper in a Jacket for an older gentleman for $12. The alterations place was going to charge $30. I just can't do that. I did have my own alterations and sewing business for 11 years so a lot of people know I sew and I usually accommodate for some extra quilting money. Most times it is just hemming and it goes fast. I don't mind for friends and family.

Just tell them take it to a dry cleaners they fix everything.

My comment DON'T DO MENDING!

its not just quilting i do a lot of crafts flowers x stitch sewing ect i had an ex friend and her daughters who just assumed i could do stuff for them all the time (2 weddings and a full blown baby shower.)i didnt mind but they just assumed cuz i dont work i had nothing better to do and the weddings were the biggest amount of work crammed into 3 weeks let me tell you i busted butt! i am glad that i am crafty most of the time but sometimes i would like someone to be crafty for me!

Blog Entries
    LOL!!

Tell them Picasso was a painter, but he didn't do walls.

My son asked me to mend a rip in his jeans, was impressed when I gave them back to him, thought I did a great job!! (I took them to the local alteration shop, cost me $18, better than taking up my precious quilting time.)

Quote Originally Posted by marymild
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    YES!! I'm adding gussets to the waistline of school uniforms for a little Downs S boy. (Don't mind, but why me?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    How about "sure. be glad too. I charge$5.00 an inch." or "I'm really sorry, but I am booked so far out, you will outgrow it before I could get it done,."
    Good one Gwen LOL!!

My son and nephew have me mending their pants all the time. I would not have it anyother way My son works in Arizona and comes home for a weekend every 8 weeks always with jeans he has ripped on the job. Today is my birthday and I will doing some tonight. I feel a little of me is going back with him in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Zaz
    My son and nephew have me mending their pants all the time. I would not have it anyother way My son works in Arizona and comes home for a weekend every 8 weeks always with jeans he has ripped on the job. Today is my birthday and I will doing some tonight. I feel a little of me is going back with him in the morning.
    Well, Happy Birthday to You!! Today is also my 70th birthday! And I'll be working on the unforms for the little boy.

I was in Walmart buying fabric yesterday and a young girl came over and said I noticed you buying material and want to know if you sew ? I told her I'm a quilter not a sewer, Lol...My older sister was the sewer not a quilter...

One can always suggest they contact their cleaners, who usually offer these services....but there is not one I recommend. Tailoring services are in phone book too. That way I am not just saying "no" to them, but offering some help.

Have been reading through this thread--really strikes a chord. I sewed before I quilted and with 3 boys I have patched a lot of jeans in my day. They still ask me to "fix" things, even though they're in their 20s and 30s. Other than my boys and a handful of sewing friends, most women I know or work with are clueless about home mending--don't think they are even aware of the concept.

There is a fascinating book (actually a Rutgers University PhD history department dissertation) by Sarah Gordon on women and sewing entitled "Sew It Yourself--Home Sewing, Gender, & Culture 1890-1930. Embedded in the online.pdf are oral interviews with a number of women sewers who recall their own sewing experiences in their youth or their mother's or grandmother's. You can find it here:
    http://www.gutenberg-e.org/gordon/acknowledge.html

At 5 chapters it's on the long side, but I think many of the responders to MaryMild's thread would enjoy it.

I, too, would love to know the quilt pattern in your avatar! Enjoy what's left of this Sunday afternoon.

My email signature says it all "Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage." Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Love that Suzan! I have to hem my daughter's school uniform skirt and I'm sweating just thinking about it! I'd rather do paper piecing and Y seams. Blindfolded! Okay you chickens, send me hemming vibes. I need you!
    my dh purchased some trousers for work.. he had an out of town meeting & got them @ 830 pm and had a 6am flight..

can anyone say stitch witch... great for an emergency fix... when it started to fail & the hem fell out, i gave him his very own package..told him figure it out or take them back to the men's wear store...

i will sew on a button though!

I have a dear friend with a little business doing repairs, alterations and personal sewing. I refer them to Jenny and SewWhat

Blog Entries
    You've heard it before, but I'll say it again - asking a quilter to mend is like asking a chef to do the dishes ~ ~ ~

DH knows that he has to REALLY be nice to me if he really, truly needs something mended.

SOMEWHERE in my sewing room, at the bottom of SOMETHING, there are things that needed mending years ago. Every once in a while I come across them and put them in a Goodwill bag ~ ~ ~

Aunt Taz and Gail G - Happy Birthday to both of you. I guess even if I am a quilter now, I still fix and mend for friends and family. DGD (5) came to me not to long ago to fix her dress. Sadly I couldn't do it. It was one I had made her when she was 3. She had dug it out and wanted it again. She is still wearing the one I made for her last year though.

Just say,"No, but I'll be happy to show you how to do it if you like." and watch them run!

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    SOMEWHERE in my sewing room, at the bottom of SOMETHING, there are things that needed mending years ago. Every once in a while I come across them and put them in a Goodwill bag ~ ~ ~
    Ha! Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I removed the pins and shipped it off.

thank you! Happy to hear you too are sharing time with family.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast