Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you mend my ******

Actually depends on who it is and what they want done--- Worst case is I tell them it would be cheaper to buy new--my price would be higher !!!

lyn

Quote Originally Posted by kacie
    I CAN mend, but I don't. I used to put the kids' mending in "the mending pile" until they outgrew it. My husband learned long ago that if it was important enough for repair or alteration, just take it directly to the tailor or he'd probably never see it again.
    I have been cleaning my sewing room this morning & I have a stack of clothes I am returning to my kids because their kids have outgrown them. hmmm..maybe subconsciously that was my plan all along...I reaaaalllly don't like doing repairs & especially alterations. I also like the one about "would you ask Michaelangelo to paint your house! may have to try that one.

Blog Entries
    I still make most of my clothes, used to do alterations. Most of the people I know have quit asking me to do repairs. But when some one does ask I try to suggest someone else. I'd rather make something new than repair/mend. Sometimes DD will bring something to be fixed. I wait until she's forgotten about it and give it to Good Will. If she catches me at her house I have to give in. She has the machine I gave her years ago so she drags it out so I can fix/mend for her. The biggest problem, I'm sure all of you face is that no one wants to pay for your time, since it doesn't take long and what else do you have to do. Yea, right. My list is so long I won't live long enough to complete it if I sewed day and night. :lol: I do have to hem all DH's pants, don't mind that as he is so good to support my habit.

Blog Entries
    Ha! I don't even do my own mending! Hate to mend--always have. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by marymild
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    LOL I used to work as an Alterations Tailor. And have a degree in Clothing and Textiles. So I have been asked a lot. And I used to do alterations/repairs as a business. And I have sewed for others. But I state prices right up front.
    Often the price of my work plus the cost of materials stops the conversation.

I do make my own clothes, mostly. And my husband's shirts. When we got married he didn't own a tie because he couldn't find a shirt that he could button at the neck. (At the time he wore about a size 16 shirt but had a 19" neck. If he found a shirt with a large enough collar, the rest of the shirt was way toooooo big. )
    So my mother-in-law never gave me any problems after we showed up for dinner one night and Rick was wearing a shirt and Tie.

I enjoy sewing. Love making almost anything. I do have to hem DH's pants most of the time..... finding 29" inseam pants is difficult. But I won't even replace zippers in his jeans. I can, but won't.

If it is fabric, I enjoy working with it. But not for other people any longer. But I will try to help explain things for others. Even had an article published in SEW NEWS magazine a couple of years ago.

Pati, in Phx

Quote Originally Posted by lynmh
    Actually depends on who it is and what they want done--- Worst case is I tell them it would be cheaper to buy new--my price would be higher !!!

lyn
    I like this. A dear friend's husband (husband is definitely not a dear friend), asked me to make a quilt and he had very specific ideas about how he wanted it: it should have (his favorite animal) in the center, then certain blocks, then some borders, a drop of so many inches. For goodness sake. I tallied up the cost of everything that would go into this, oh yes, and the cost of the quilting. I told him to think about it and let me know. Didn't hear from him again.

yes......and now am making a dress for a re-enactment for revolutionary female

My kids know that their "mending" will generally lay in my pile until they outgrow it... :)

When a friend of mine bought her new "quilting" machine. She gave her old one to her daughter and now tell them all - sorry - this new machine is for quilting and does not have the mending attachment... :D

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Yes! :roll: They also think that making costumes would be "easier" than making a quilt too LMBO
    And they also think it cheaper to make the clothes than to buy them...

Ho, Ho, Ho - dreamers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    All it takes for people that won't take no, meaning to shut up about it, is to botch the mending job so bad they won't ask again. This really works.
    That is too cool

:lol:

I just tell them I can't sew a straight line.

I don't mend...I throw away, and buy new....

How about...okay if you will come over & let me show you how so you can do it next time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanjam62
    How about...okay if you will come over & let me show you how so you can do it next time
    Good luck with that one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by nanjam62
    Have used that when someone wants a Quilt, just out of the blue, have only had 3 takers. in 20 years :lol: :lol:

I do mending for the family and friends, co-workers, and neighbors, but when my car pool buddy asked me if I could lengthen the sleeves on a tailored suit jacket for him (he got the suit at a resale shop while on vacation because the pants fit), I said I would look at it. The next day I took it back to him and said, I really don't think I will be able to do it after all. I wasn't sure how much extra was turned up. If I think I can do it, I will, If not, I will sure tell them. I don't really LIKE to do mending, or alterations, but for a few extra bucks, I will. The only thing is, I DON'T GET ANY QUILTING DONE!! LOL!!

I mend things for my DD all of the time. She really never did get the hang of sewing. I just gave my old Singer sewing machine to my gd, we'll see what happens there/

I did have someone ask me once if I could repair a binding on their vintage quilt. But no one has asked me to hem their pants yet. They would be surprised at what they received back if I did it. :D

I had a girl ask me one time to fix a quilt her MIL had made for her..she had let the dog sleep on it & chewed a hole in it. I told her I didn't really have the time as it would be a big job. She said what will I say to my MIL. I said I don't know but I wouldn't suggest asking her to repair it. haha that might be a little hard to explain!

Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    I once heard someone say:

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I once heard someone say:

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.
    Now THAT'S the truth!!

yes i will mend my kids and grandkids things but other people i tell them i do quilting not mending or fixing in a nice polite way so they understand the differance between quilting and sewing

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    No one asks me to mend for them. At 6 foot tall and 240 lbs., I don't get many requests like that. They just say really, that's interesting.

Oh. Did I mention I'm a 50 year old male?

:lol:
    I'm sure glad you cleared that up. I was trying to pix a very tall woman. LOL

Oh yes, I get it all the time in the RV park I live in during the winter. Problem is they are usually very good friends that are hard to ever say no to. Then I'm stuck doing it whether I want to or not.
    It's all paybacks though since they're all going to take care of me in the fall when I have foot surg. I feel everything is paybacks in one way or another.

I only offer to sew on buttons - hemming and alterations I COULD do but prefer to do my own now, sewed once for a friend and vowed never again - and I thought I was picky!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast