Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you mend my ******

Everyone brings their mending to me...and buttons...I have lost count of the number of total replacement "button jobs" I have done (you know, where they lose one button and the whole lot need replacing, 'cause there's not a matching one to be found). Thank goodness I have an enormous button stash..."The Button Collection" originally belonged to my G.Grandmother, then she passed it to my G.Mother, then she to Mum and as my mother is a minimalist and hates clutter,I am now the "keeper of the buttons".

Except for my immediate family I've learned to just say no!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    You know, I've only had one person ask if I took in sewing "from the public", so I do believe that he was willing to pay for it.

I do hem up my own and my husband's pants, and sew my own clothing. I don't do any other alterations, though. But every time I hem up a pair of pants (I'm short-legged, so basically anything not labeled "short" or "petite" is going to be two inches too long, or longer)I feel like I've outsmarted whoever it is that thinks we're all at least 5'6".
    Oh Butterflyblue, I'm 5'7" w/33 inseam, have to go for talls if can be found, then shorten all others are high waters "yuk" guess their going for an aveage, haven't yet figured that out yet, Funny part is can buy mens pants waist and length ! Wonder why that is?? :-)

There is one thing I really don't like to do & that is mending for myself let alone others. I usually get out of it but then it depends on who it is for too.

I was a "sewer" before a "quilter" so everyone knows I know how to do it. I don't mind the change up every now and then! My mothers owns a laundry/pressing bussiness and she gets a lot of alterations. I often do them for her for a little extra cash!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    I have a B.S. in apparel design. I use to have my own business custom sewing.... people want a designer gown for Walmart clearance price....
    My favorite quote "I thought if I had it custom made it would be cheaper" ha ha.. ONLY if yo make it yourself
    And then there was the time back in the day that I gave in and made the bridal party's dresses ---- not only did I not get paid for the fabric and notions and patterns, but nothing for my time either and they had the nerve to ask me to sew for the next wedding...I had what can only be described as a "laughing fit" so bad my DH thought I was having an asthma attack!! LOL To this day these people don't understand why I won't do sewing for hire!

I teach sewing in high school, I've had kids, teachers, district office personnel, the principal, the security people - all ask us to mend things for them. Oh, and let's not forget the parents - they send stuff with their kid to school and ask if we'll mend it. And the principal even asked one of the boys in my class to make him an apron - the principal is 6'7", so am I supposed to alter an existing pattern for him and what about the material??

We say no and in the case of the principal, we never mentioned it again and neither did he.

Blog Entries
    I read this somewhere.
    Asking a quilter to mend
    is like asking Pacaso (sp)to paint
    your garage.
    ( Just not done)LOL

I only mend for a few people. My Sister is on disability, so I sew and mend for her and her little daughter.
    I had a cousin that begged me for weeks to make her kids costumes. I told her I didnt have the time to do it, but she said, Oh, it will be quick and EASY!!!!!!!!
    So, I said, then WHY DONT YOU make them, lol?????
    Of course, she never did!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I just tell them , sorry no I don't sew :wink: LOL

That's exactly what I say.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I teach sewing in high school, I've had kids, teachers, district office personnel, the principal, the security people - all ask us to mend things for them. Oh, and let's not forget the parents - they send stuff with their kid to school and ask if we'll mend it. And the principal even asked one of the boys in my class to make him an apron - the principal is 6'7", so am I supposed to alter an existing pattern for him and what about the material??

We say no and in the case of the principal, we never mentioned it again and neither did he.
    I solved the problem of having to replace the male teachers' zippers when I was in high school home ec. --- I conveniently sewed the plackets shut! LOL Never had them bring it to me again in class!

How about "It's so nice that you sew. You save so much money."

Yes! and they want you to make them one, but not have to buy any material or help you with the expense at all.

Banned
    I tell people its a quilting machine, not a sewing machine, and they leave me alone!

Quote Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
    Funny part is can buy mens pants waist and length ! Wonder why that is?? :-)
    YES! I have always wondered why men get the sensible way to figure out what pants to buy, and we get a bunch of numbers that don't mean anything and vary by manufacturer. My number size can be any of 4 different sizes, depending on brand.

It really gets my goat when someone asks me to mend a quilt and they call the quilt a blanket.

I do simple mending for my immediate family. I can't do complex. If it's complex, I take it to a Tailor here in town.

I have a neat button foot for my machine and it makes it easy to sew buttons on. Hate sewing them on by hand.

On clothes sizes, I have problem with long sleeves. They are not long enough so I usually don't wear them. Sometimes I buy mens flannel shirts for the winter just so I can get the sleeves long enough. A long time ago, "they" figured out that men have different leg and arm lengths, haven't' they realized that women do too?

I don't like mending either so I just don't do it. I have no trouble saying no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    My answer: Send it to my mother - she likes mending. I just buy new. lol
    My reply: Send it to your mama.

I got asked to take up the length of a large number of slacks for a gentleman, saying he would pay me half what a "professional" tailor would charge because he did not want to spend that kind of money.

Hey - don't they know that quilting and mending ARE two different things! Amen!

Always!!! However a friend loves me, she runs a home mending service. I just give them her card. She is threatening to take her cards away from me because she can't keep up.

My answer to this , "You would not ask Picaso to paint the back fence , dont ask me to mend, I am an artist......"

It happens all the time but when I got my first do everything machine I told them that it doesn't work for regular patching or mending as it is set up for quilting. I haven't been challenged yet but people knew I use to do all the stuff for our kids when they were little. I will cover up a small stain for the grandkids with a design from the embroidery cards as I enjoy that. They do sometimes ask what I did with my other machines and I sort of shrug my shoulders. Out of sight out of mind. They also ask me to mend quilts and I don't do that either any more. Some of them are so bad it would take me too long and away from what I really want to do. There is an exception her for my kids and grand kids as they bring me their quilts right away if a seam or anything needs a few stitches...that I can handle.

I say this too. I just don't like to mend, etc. I don't sew for myself even - just grandkids & not that much. I have helped out a couple young guys that have been friends of our younger son but made such they understood it was a one time deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't sew! I quilt and there is a big difference!
    I sew and quilt but I always cut them off saying, "I don't do alterations." Always hated it and always will! I especially look for petite clothes just so I don't have to mend or hem!

I refuse to do alterations or replace broken jean zippers. I ask them what do they think retired means.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast