Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you mend my ******

I do most alterations. It's my business. This gives me $$$
    for Fabric!!
    Hemming is my favorite. 15 minutes ~ done

This six foot tall girl LOVES shorter people.

Its all perception, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by mamahippychicky
    I was asked to make some leotards. I hate sewing stretchy material so said my machine couldn't handle it!

Hehehe, good answer! :thumbup:
    Why can't we just say NO? lol

Blog Entries
    Just tell them you charge and watch them disappear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marymild
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    Well, I have been sewing for people longer than I have been quilting. So I get the reverse reactions. I showed someone last week my Quilts for Kids and they were surprised that I could do that. Now my kids and grandkids tell people I can do everything. People don't always understand my charges, till I explain how long it takes to deconstruct something to make the repair. I'm very selective in the repairs I do for people.

i absolutely detest mending and hemming. I think it is because I did so much of it when my kids were little. I used to make a lot of clothes but now, I quilt and that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Everyone brings their mending to me...and buttons...I have lost count of the number of total replacement "button jobs" I have done (you know, where they lose one button and the whole lot need replacing, 'cause there's not a matching one to be found). Thank goodness I have an enormous button stash..."The Button Collection" originally belonged to my G.Grandmother, then she passed it to my G.Mother, then she to Mum and as my mother is a minimalist and hates clutter,I am now the "keeper of the buttons".
    You know, Its a sad situation when someone can't even sew on a button.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Quote Originally Posted by kacie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Love that Suzan! I have to hem my daughter's school uniform skirt and I'm sweating just thinking about it! I'd rather do paper piecing and Y seams. Blindfolded! Okay you chickens, send me hemming vibes. I need you!
    You could pretend you're hand-stitching a binding!
    That is exactly the way you hem a skirt. no difference... the basic blind hem stitch
    Heres one rememdy for that, most machines have a blind hem stitch, whip it out in notime!

I hate to mend so even family knows not to ask. I will hem and do some alterations but even fixing a seam--Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I just tell them , sorry no I don't sew :wink: LOL
    LOL that's what I tell them too, only I really don't sew,never ever did. Took up quilting and had to get my daughter to show me how to thread a machine

Blog Entries
    LOL

JJs
    Banned
    I've always said it's a whole lot more fun to sew when you don't have to.
    I sewed for my kids - "back in those days"..... there weren't garage sales on every corner and no wallyworld with their throw away kids clothes....
    Then I sewed for the grandkids...
    now I sew for my own enjoyment...

I have to have alterations on most of my clothes but would never dream of doing it myself. I pay more for alterations than some of the clothes. My theory is ... I'm old enough to do what I please...and alterations isn't one of them. I will sew a button on and repair a split in a seam, period!!! I love what Sadiemae said...there's quilting and then there's sewing. I'm a quilter.

Blog Entries
    I raised 8 children so yes I did a lot of sewing and mending. I still do a lot of mending for the kids and grandkids. I recently repaired a quilt for a granddaughter that I had given her for christmas in 1999/ Took way to long but worth it fir her. I no longer sew for other people. They do not value my time.

My family knows that if they put something in my sewing room to be repaired, there's a good chance they may never see it again. Hehe!

Thanks for all the great replies. You made me laugh A LOT!

Until I retired, I never sewed a stitch. I asked my mother to do all my repairs, so now I guess I feel guilty when the next generation asks the same thing of me.

I think my mom was happy to do it. Or at least I always thought so. But now I'm not so sure.

I love the Picasso line. I'll keep that in mind.

It is a Debbie Caffrey Mystery Quilt.
    I took a class at my LQS.
    It was several years ago.
    I'll try to find the pattern, or I'll ask my LQS. They'll know.
    I gave the quilt to a friend. It's in Seattle now.

It might be Surrounded by Monkeys

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    No one asks me to mend for them. At 6 foot tall and 240 lbs., I don't get many requests like that. They just say really, that's interesting.

Oh. Did I mention I'm a 50 year old male?

:lol:
    Hehe. Thought that was a good-sized woman. ;)

I was head of a large dept store alterations dept for years . I tell people these are separate skills as in- you cook but do you can? Alterations and mending are a different skill set than quilting or sewing from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_lady
    MaryMild, can you tell me what the quilt pattern in your avatar is? It's absolutely stunning. Thanks, Kathy

It is a Debbie Caffrey Mystery Quilt.
    I took a class at my LQS.
    It was several years ago.
    I'll try to find the pattern, or I'll ask my LQS. They'll know.
    I gave the quilt to a friend. It's in Seattle now.

I think it is Surrounded By Monkeys Classy Pattern

I make some of my daughters clothes, so a neighbor asked me to hem an expensive pagent dress for her grandaughter (atleast 5 layers to the gown). Then she told me how she wanted me to do it with "iron-on hem tape". I told her that wasn't sewing and she was obviously more experienced with it than me. Hopefully, I won't get asked again!! Not to mention, my own stack of mending is in the corner with lots of dust and cat hair on it!!!

I had to laugh when my DH brought a pair of pants in the kitchen and asked me to get him a button, needle and thread. I told him I would sew the button on and he said he knew if I took those pants to the sewing room he would never see them again. He knows me really well after 42 years. I hate mending.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I tried telling my husband that my machine couldn't handle denim jeans. He said, "You paid xxx for that machine and it only sews cotton?! I said, "Wrong. It only sews quilts!"
    That is what I tell my husband, too. He takes all his hunting clothes to some one else. I use to sew for the public and when we got married I made him a shirt he didn't like it, and altered a shirt for him, he didn't like it, and him being a teacher, minister white shirts all the time 2x a day 14 a week and when it came time to iron them again he did not like the way I did them. So guess what been married 31 years and I have not ironed or sewed for him in 30 years 11 months and 22 days. He irons his shirts and takes the alters. to some one else.

I heard my niece, an avid quilter, tell someone that asking a quilter to mend is like asking Rembrandt to paint your barn.

Yes, and my neighbor asked me to fix some patchwork shorts of hers once. The fabric was cheap and it had raveled out of its seam. I did the best I could, but it wasn't easy. I took them back to her house and hung them on her doorknob in a plastic bag. She never said another word about it--not a word of thanks, not a f-you, nothing. Last time I'll do that for her.

I have it all the time. The latest was a larger sized woman at work asked me to repair two of her bra's!! Of course not being able to say no, I did. Ugg!! I don't even consider myself to be someone who sew's... Quilt, yes, clothes not at all. :)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast